How to Make Beetroot Raita
Eating beetroot is beneficial for health. People use it in many ways. One of the ways is, by using it in the curry. Beetroot curry can be made in many ways. I am showing here 'Beetroot raita' which is a delicious side dish made using yogurt. It is less spicy and has a wonderful flavor. This raita is a perfect side dish for a lunch during summer.
Nutritionists nowadays consider beetroot as a super food. It is rich in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and essential minerals like potassium, which helps in muscle and nerve functioning.
Beetroot has manganese which is good for bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas. It has B vitamin folates that help to reduce the risk of birth defects.
Eat this raita in the beginning of the meal to get beneficial effects, as it is known to impart a cooling effect on the body. One more interesting fact is that beetroot raita has an awesome pink color which is eye pleasing.
Making this raita is simple and it takes only about 15 minutes. I wish you try this easy recipe!
- 2 cups beetroot, grated
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated(optional)
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt or thick curd
- 2 green chili
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter/ghee
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black gram split
- 2 pinches Hing/Asafoetida powder
- Wash beetroot. Remove the outer skin. Grate it.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan. Throw in mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add black gram split and curry leaves. Fry until the black gram turns golden.
- Add grated beetroot. Saute for 3 minutes on low fire or until it becomes soft. During this process, it becomes soft and the water evaporates from it. You can sprinkle a few drops of water while sauteing. Don't make it too dry. Keep aside for cooling.
- Add coconut, green chili, mustard seeds, and asafoetida/Hing powder to a mixer/grinder. While adding some water, grind to get a smooth, thick paste.
- Take the cooked beetroot to a mixing bowl. Add the ground paste, yogurt, and salt. Mix well. The consistency of this raita should be thick.
- Delicious beetroot raita is ready to serve. Serve it as a side dish with steamed rice or any other main course. Enjoy the taste!
Making Beetroot Raita Without Coconut
You can make beetroot raita even without coconut. For this, you have to mix grated beetroot, yogurt/curd, chopped chili, asafoetida powder, and salt. Then make the tempering. This type of raita is easier, as it does not involve grinding.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 8 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|