- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Healthy Recipes: Beetroot Curry/Raita
Eating beetroot is beneficial for health. People use it in many ways. One of the ways is, by using it in the curry. Beetroot curry can be made in many ways. I am showing here 'Beetroot raita' which is a delicious side dish/curry made using yogurt. It is less spicy and has a wonderful flavor. This raita is a perfect side dish for a lunch during summer.
Eat this raita in the beginning of the meal to get beneficial effects, as it is known to impart a cooling effect on the body. One more interesting fact is that beetroot raita has an awesome pink color which is eye pleasing.
Making this raita is simple and it takes only about 15 minutes. I wish you try this easy recipe!
Beetroot Raita Recipe
- 2 cups beetroot, grated
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated(optional)
- 1 1/2 cup yogurt or thick curd
- 2 green chili
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp butter/ghee
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp black gram split
- 2 pinches Hing/Asafoetida powder
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions For Making Beetroot Curry/Raita
- Wash beetroot. Remove and discard the outer skin. Grate it.
- Heat ghee/oil in a pan. Throw mustard seeds. Let it crackle. Add black gram split and curry leaves. Fry till black gram turns golden.
- Add grated beetroot. Saute for 3 minutes on low fire or till it becomes soft. During this process, it becomes soft and the water evaporates from it. You can sprinkle a few drops of water while frying. Don't make it too dry. Keep aside for cooling.
- Take coconut, green chili, mustard seeds, and asafoetida/Hing powder in a mixer/grinder. Make a smooth, thick paste by adding some water.
- Take cooked beetroot in a mixing bowl. Add ground paste, yogurt, and salt. Mix well. The consistency of the raita should be thick.
- Delicious beetroot raita is ready to serve. Serve as side dish with hot rice or with any other main course. Enjoy the taste!
Making Beetroot Raita Without Coconut
You can make beetroot raita even without coconut. For this, you have to mix grated beetroot, yogurt/curd, chopped chili, asafoetida powder, and salt. Then make the tempering. This type of raita is easier, as it does not involve grinding.
Health Benefits of Eating Beetroot
Nutritionists nowadays consider beetroot as a super food. It is rich in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, antioxidants, and essential minerals like potassium, which helps in muscle and nerve functioning.
Beetroot has manganese which is good for bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas. It has B vitamin folates that help to reduce the risk of birth defects.
Beetroot juice improves athletic performance and lowers blood pressure, increases blood flow. Research at Wake Forest University has found that drinking beetroot juice can improve oxygenation to the brain, slowing the progression of dementia in older adults.
During old age, blood circulation for certain areas of brain decreases, resulting in a decline in cognition and dementia. Drinking beetroot juice regularly can have a positive effect in such cases. Beetroot has nitrate content that can improve blood flow and oxygenation to those areas of the brain.
Nutritional Information of Beetroot raita
|Serving size: 1 big cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Other Similar Recipes
- Making Okra Raita - a Curry With Yogurt
Okra is densely packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Okra raita is a simple and easy side dish with all the goodness of okra.
- Cucumber, Carrot, & Onion Raita (Salad) Recipe
Raita is a nutrient-rich, colorful side dish that adds extra kick to the main course. It has raw vegetables or fruits and is yogurt based. It's not too spicy, is appetizing, and is easy to digest.
- Tomato and Onion Raita: A Yogurt Based Curry Recipe
Raw veggies and yogurt in a spicy coconut sauce makes a tasty side dish. Tomato and onion raita is a raw dish and is loaded with various nutrients. You can make it in 10-15 minutes. Just try this!