- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Healthy Recipes: Sweet Potato Recipes
Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes
Any healthy recipe has to start off with an ultra healthy main ingredient. Sweet potatoes are the perfect place to start because they're been called the healthiest of all vegetables! They're packed with dietary fiber, low amounts of naturally occurring sugar, they're a complex carbohydrate, and they have protein, vitamin A, beta carotene, vitamin C, iron and calcium. They're also low in calories at 130 -160 per potato.
The best thing in my opinion is that they're hearty and they feel like 'real' food. Other veggies are great, but it's tough to make them the main focus of a meal and really feel like you've had a filling dinner. Sweet potatoes can easily be a comfort food that at least packs a lot of nutrition in as well.
Here is one of my favorite Sweet Potato Recipes!
Shepherds Pie Made with Turkey & Sweet Potato
This is a twist on that shepherds pie that mom made all those years with beef and regular potatoes. I love that shepherds pie too, but I wanted a way to have it and make a couple of substitutions to make it more healthy. Turkey is a leaner protein than adding ground beef and the sweet potatoes add lots of vitamins, protein and nutrients. This is super easy and takes only about 30 minutes!
Extra-virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons)
Ground turkey (2 pounds)
Freshly ground black pepper
Poultry seasoning (2 teaspoons)
Sweet potatoes(2 1/2 pounds- peeled and cubed)
1 onion (cut into 1-inch dice)
2 carrots (peeled and grated)
4 long sticks of celery (chopped)
4 tablespoons butter (divided into 4 chunks)
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups turkey or chicken stock
Worcestershire sauce (just need a few dashes)
1 (10-ounce) box frozen peas
1 very ripe banana
Hot sauce (just a few dashes)
2 cups sharp yellow Cheddar (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Use a deep skillet to heat the olive oil, on high heat. Add the ground turkey and break it up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt, pepper and poultry seasonings.
- Cook sweet potatoes in a separate pot. Add to boiling water and cook until tender. About 15 minutes.
- Add the onions, carrots and celery to the turkey and stir for 5 minutes. During this five min, heat two tblspoons of butter over medium heat. Add flour to butter and whisk for one minute. Use whisk to mix in stock. Salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce to season. Let thicken for a few minutes.
- Add the peas to the meat and remove from heat.
- When potatoes are ready, drain and return to pot. Add butter and melt on medium. Season potatoes with salt, pepper and hot sauce. Combine with the chopped up banana.
- Put the potatoes on top of the turkey and cover with cheese. Put this in the oven for about 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!!