- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Healthy Snacks: Easy Recipes: Potato and Spinach Kebabs:
Kebabs are finger foods made by roasting or frying or grilling meat or vegetable. They are extremely healthy as they contain a major proportion of meat or vegetable in it.
Hotels and restaurants serve kebabs as starter/appetizer snacks. Making kebabs is normally simple and easy. They are to be eaten hot and fresh.
Potato and spinach kebab is popularly called as 'Hara Bhara Kebab'. That means green kebab in the Hindi language. It is crunchy outside and buttery inside. It has a special aroma due to fried potatoes. This kebab can be used as an after-school snack for kids and young adults.
Potato and Spinach Kebabs
Health Benefits of Eating Potato and Spinach Kebabs:
The major ingredient used in this awesome snack are potato and spinach. Both these vegetables are nutrient dense and contain abundant fiber and vitamins that are important for our body.
Potatoes are considered as comfort food. They taste awesome when baked, mashed, fried and roasted. They are exceptionally high fiber foods that offer significant protection against cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Potatoes contain vitamin B6 and, is a good source of potassium, copper, vitamin C, manganese, phosphorous, niacin, dietary fiber, and pantothenic acid. They also contain varieties of phytonutrients that show antioxidant activity. Among this health promoting compounds are carotenoids, flavonoids, and caffeic acid, as well as unique tuber storage proteins like patatin, which exhibits activity against free radicals.
The abundant vitamin B6 found in potatoes are helpful for building new cells in the body. They contribute to lowering the blood pressure and also help in cardiovascular protection. They aid in good nervous system functioning.
Spinach is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol. It is high in niacin, zinc, fiber, vitamin A, C, E, and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, manganese, and proteins.
It has anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer benefits due to its phytonutrients. It is also a good source of antioxidants. As spinach is packed with vitamin K, it helps in maintaining bone health.
- 5 cups potato, boiled, mashed
- 5-6 cups spinach, baby or grown leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tsp chickpea flour
- 4 tbsp corn flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 5 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander/cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chat masala, optional, available in Indian stores
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp oil, for the dough
- oil for frying
Step By Step Images and Instructions of Making Potato and Spinach Kebab:
- Remove the stem, wash spinach. Pat dry and finely chop them.
- Heat oil in a kadhai as per instruction. Throw cumin seeds to it. Let it crackle. Pour the chopped spinach. Saute till the water evaporates from it. Press it to the kadhai to ensure there is no moisture in it.
- Boil three or four potatoes. Remove the skin. Mash them.
- Take a mixing bowl. Add mashed potato, chickpea flour, corn flour, chopped green chili, ginger, cilantro, and salt to make a soft yet firm dough. Divide the dough into equal parts. Shape them elongated as shown in the pic.
- Heat oil for deep frying. Fry kebabs in batches of 6-7, till they turn crispy and golden brown color. Remove on an absorbent paper towel. Serve hot kebabs with tomato sauce. I am sure, they will vanish in no time!!
Nutrition Information of Potato and Spinach Kebab
|Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|