Chicken Lovers Recipes
Taste is everything
When it comes to eating healthy taste is everything. At least it is to me. If I need to give up some of my favorite foods (donuts, ice cream) I must have flavor in the foods I am eating.
There are ways of adding flavor to help make you feel that you are not doing without. Spices, herbs and condiments play a big part in my recipes. I couldn't do without them. In this small collection of recipes I have concentrated on chick and casseroles. These are great one dish meals. Either of these recipes are equally tasty made with chicken or turkey.
Try these recipes, you will be amazed at how good they are.
- 1 pkg. herb seasoned poultry dressing
- 2 pkgs. frozen green beans
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans low-fat, low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 tbsp. low cholesterol margarine
- sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- butter flavored oil spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly spray 9" x 12" baking dish with butter flavored oil spray.
- Layer half of the poultry dressing, then layer all of the green beans, almonds and mushrooms.
- Layer chopped chicken.
- Mix soup and milk and pour over layers in casserole dish.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Layer the rest of the dressing on top.
- Melt butter in hot water and pour over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
Chicken Barbeque Casserole
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (approximately 3 1/2 to 4 pounds)
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp salt substitute
pepper, to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small can tomato paste
1 cup water
2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar substitute
1 clove garlic, minced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray oil into a 9x13x2inch baking dish. Salt, pepper and garlic chicken and coat with flour. Bake covered in for 20 minutes.
While chicken is baking heat oil in medium fry pan. Saute green peppers and onions until onion becomes translucent. Add mushrooms, celery, tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar substitute, garlic and cilantro. Mix well
Remove chicken from oven. Pour mixture over chicken to marinate all day or over night in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chicken for about 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Leftover turkey can also be used in this recipe. Instead of baking for 20 minutes as you do with the raw chicken you simply place the turkey in baking dish and cover with vegetable mixture and marinate. The rest of the instructions are unchanged. This is a great recipe to prepare the night before. When you come home from a long day at work all you have to do is pop this dish in the oven and let it cook itself. This dish is great with brown rice or whole wheat noodles.
Benefits of Eating Chicken
- Chicken is a rich source of niacin. Niacin is a B vitamin that helps protect the body from cancer.
- It is a good source of phosporus which helps buile healthy bones and teeth.
- The niacin in chicken helps to protect the body from cognitive diseases such as Alzheimer's
- Selenium is found inabundant amounts in chicken. It is needed for thyroid hormone metabolism and for the overall well being of the body.
- Chicken is a good source of protein which is essential for growth and development.
- Chicken's high quality protein helps overweight people lose weight faster.
- The protein in chicken helps protect against bone loss in seniors.
- Best-Ever Oven-Fried Chicken Recipe
Want a quick, healthy, flavorful and juicy fried chicken without all the work of the traditional Southern method? Then you've come to the right place. This quick and easy oven fried chicken is incredible!
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe
Here you'll find two Jamaican chicken recipes that you will love: jerk chicken and curry chicken!
- Lemon and Herb Roast Chicken Recipe
Learn how to make a delicious lemon and herb roast chicken. This easy whole chicken recipe includes simple to follow instructions with step-by-step pictures.
- Chinese Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipes
Sweet and sour sauce recipe with three different recipes for sweet and sour chicken. Features sweet and sour battered chicken balls, sweet and sour chicken stir fry and sweet and sour chicken noodles.
- Honey Orange Roasted Chicken Recipe
Don't want to spend much time, but want a delicious and healthy meal? This orange roast chicken is quick to prepare, cooks without supervision, and looks like it is from a gourmet kitchen!
- Two family favourite chicken recipes - the best from...
I love to cook – maybe because I love eating and maybe because I like to get the praise of others when they like what I cook. Whatever! I have been cooking for many years, mostly on Sundays, so I guess you could call me a Sunday chef!
© 2009 Susan Hazelton