- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Stew Recipes
Hearty and Delicious Beef Stew Recipe
During the cold winter months, nothing hits the spot better than a bowl of hearty, homemade beef stew. Beef stew is easy to make and is a relatively inexpensive meal, whether you're cooking for one or two people or a large group. Enjoy this delicious beef stew recipe!
Beef Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds of lean beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons of minced onion (fresh or dehydrated)
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon of allspice
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup of tomato juice
- 1 large onion, cut into several large pieces
- 1 cup of cubed potatoes
- 1 cup of sliced carrots or 1 small package of whole baby carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the extra-virgin olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
2. While the oil is heating, dredge the meat lightly in the flour.
3. Carefully place the meat in the hot oil and cook until lightly browned. (Note: do not skip this step. This is very important for sealing the flavor in the meat and keeping it as tender and juicy as possible.)
4. Add the water, minced onion, garlic, allspice, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato juice.
5. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
6. Add the onion chunks, sliced carrots (or baby carrots), cubed potatoes, and celery.
7. Cook for 30 more minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
This hearty stew really is a complete one pot meal. It has your meat, vegetables, and starch all in one bowl, so you can enjoy this dish all by itself if you want. Crusty French bread, thick slices of warm beer bread, or fresh corn muffins are the perfect accompaniments to this simple, yet tasty meal. If you plan to enjoy wine with your meal, try a good quality merlot or cabernet sauvignon for a perfect pairing.
Slow Cooker Recipe Variation:
You can also prepare this hearty beef stew recipe in a crock pot. You'll still need to sear the meat on the stove top, but you can use the slow cooker for everything else. If using a crock pot, reduce the water by 1/2 cup. Simmer on low for 4-6 hours before adding the vegetables, and then continue to simmer for an additional 4-6 hours before serving.
Any Ideas or Suggestions?
There are just about as many different ways to make beef stew as there are people who enjoy preparing the dish. This recipe is one of my favorites, but it certainly isn't the only way to cook this filling and nourishing meal. If you have some favorite tips and techniques for preparing your own special beef stew recipe, feel free to post them in the comments section below!