Heavenly Honey Bread
Delicious or Healthy?
When you crave dessert but don't want to derail a healthy diet, wholesome and satisfying options like this bread solve the dilemma. I adapted this recipe from Everyday Food's Honey Whole Wheat Mini Loaves recipe. I've reduced the sugar slightly, used heart-healthier canola oil, added applesauce to slash a little fat, and included a flavorful blend of spices. I've also substituted white whole wheat flour, which offers a milder taste, for half of the necessary flour. Due to family members' personal preference, I also occasionally cut down the instant coffee granules to 1/2 teaspoon; even this lesser amount gives the bread a pleasantly strong and hearty flavor. Cook times may vary depending on your oven.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules, stirred into 2/3 cup hot water
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil and flour 4 mini loaf pans (approx. 6 x 3 x 2).
- Combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom and salt in medium bowl.
- Place eggs and brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat with mixer at high speed for 1 minute. Add honey, coffee granules, oil, applesauce and vanilla extract. Beat at low speed for one minute. Stir in the flour mixture.
- Pour batter into loaf pans and set on baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Continue baking 10-15 minutes longer, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and remove loaves from pans. Cool completely before serving.