Herb Roasted Parsnips Recipe - How to Roast Parsnips
Parsnips are fantastic. These sweet and nutty vegetables make their appearance over the winter months and if they’re not a part of your kitchen repertoire – they should be.
You can prepare parsnips in any number of ways, but few preparation methods can beat roasted parsnips – roasting really enhances the complex sweetness of this flavorful root vegetable.
In case you’re wondering, parsnips look pretty much just like white carrots.
Herb Roasted Parsnips (for about 4 side dish servings)
- 1 pound of parsnips, peeled and cut into wedges that are about ¾ thick at the bottom.
- 3 Tbls of olive oil (pr you can use vegetable oil if preferred)
- About 1 Tbls of minced fresh herbs or 1 tsp of dried herbs. Herbs that work well here include thyme, sage and rosemary
- Salt and pepper
Parsnip Roasting Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 400
- On a baking sheet, drizzle the oil over the parsnip wedges and toss on the chopped herbs. Toss the parsnip wedges around a bit to make sure they are evenly covered in oil.
- Sprinkle salt and freshly cracked black pepper over the parsnips
- Transfer the pan to your pre-heated oven and cook for 40 minutes, or until the parsnips have browned slightly on the outside and are creamy soft on the inside.
- Taste and add more salt if necessary
These are perfect served beside roast beef.
- When buying parsnips, try to avoid the really monster looking big ones, as they can have woody stems and are generally tougher all over – small to medium sized parsnips are your best bet. If you have larger parsnips, cut out the woody core.
- You can add a lot of visual interest to this dish by mixing an equal part carrots to the parsnips. Carrots and parsnips can be roasted together ( they will cook in a similar time) and the flavors that work well with carrots will also work well with parsnips.
Honey Roasted Parsnips
Side Dish Recipes
- 10 Boiled Potato Recipes - 10 Easy Variations for Ta...
10 easy variations on everyday boiled potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes 10 Variations
Easy instructions for making mashed sweet potatoes plus 10 flavor variations.
- Crispy Oven Roasted Smashed New Potatoes (Recipe). T...
Crunchy and golden, oven roasted smashed potatoes. These are good eating!