Holiday Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese Filling
Did You Enjoy This Recipe?
Holiday Dessert and Appreciated Holiday Gift
Holiday bring families and friends together. Nothing brings families and friends together like special traditional foods, especially great desserts. This dessert is really not that difficult to make and is always a hit. At least in my circle of friends and family, it is certainly better appreciated than the traditional fruitcake.
Finances challenged this season? Make these ahead and give as appreciated gifts.
Cook Time for Holiday Pumpkin Roll
Ingredients for Holiday Pumpkin Roll
- Powdered Sugar
- 3/4 Cup All-purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 2/3 Cup Pureed Pumpkin
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts, (optional)
- 8 ounce package Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1Teaspoon Vanilla
- Additional Powdered Sugar
Instructions for Baking a Holiday Pumpkin Roll
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 15x10 inch jellyroll pan. Line with waxed paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a tightly towel (tightly woven, not terrycloth) with powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a bowl. Mix eggs, sugar, and pumpkin into another bowl beat until creamy. Combine flour mixture with the wet ingredients.
- Spread mixture onto waxed paper in the jellyroll pan. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen cake from the pan and turn cake onto the prepared towel.
- Carefully peel paper off the cake. Gently roll cake up into the towel. Cool on wire rack.
- Beat Cream Cheese, the cup of powdered sugar, butter, and sugar.
- Carefully unroll the towel carefully from the cake. Spread the cream cheese frosting over the cake. Reroll cake and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
Make Ahead Holiday Pumpkin Roll For The Holiday Season
Remember how I suggested giving these as gifts earlier? Well, make some ahead for your own family too! That way, dessert is always ready during this busy time.
Make several of these desserts ahead of time before the holiday rush. Wrap in plastic wrap, then place in a gallon sized freezer bag, and place them in the freezer. On the morning before a holiday event, remove from the freezer, thaw on its serving platter, and its ready to serve. It couldn't be easier.
How to Decrease Sugar Or Fat Content in Holiday Pumpkin Roll
Although I prefer the original, others may want to decrease calories, fat, or sugar for various reasons. Here are some suggestions.
- Replace cream cheese and butter with lower calorie versions
- Replace granulated sugar with stevia or Splenda™
- Replace powdered sugar with sifted Splenda™
Substitutes for Pumpkin in Holiday Pumpkin Roll
Even if you do not have any pumpkin, you can replace pumpkin with equal amounts of any of these vegetables in this recipe:
- Pureed Winter Squash
- Pureed Sweet Potatoes
- Pureed Carrots
not Sure You Want to make pumpkin roll? Make A Simple Pumpkin Pie instead!
© 2013 Cygnet Brown