Homemade Borsch: A Rich-Tasting Soup Packed With Nutrition
Ah . . . Homemade borsch. There's nothing quite like a bowl of rich borsch soup. Borsch is full of a variety of vegetables and nutritionally superior, a combo of delicious flavors: soup cabbage, potatoes, cream, butter, dill . . .
Making this hearty soup isn't difficult if you have a reliable recipe for borsch and two large pots to put your soup ingredients in. Are you ready to get started?
Homemade Borsch Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions.
Brown onions in butter in large fry pan or pot, then add:
- 6 cups of canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 8 cups finely grated cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
Cook at a moderate heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. While this is cooking:
In another large pot . . .
- 12 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
Bring to a boil, then add:
- 8 medium potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced beets
Return to a soft boil. Add:
- 2 cups tomato juice
Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Remove potatoes and mash with 1/2 cup whipping cream. Add first mixture, along with the potatoes. Add finely chopped green onions and fresh dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe makes a generous amount of borsch, which can be frozen for future meals.
Borsch Flavor Boosters
- For extra flavor, add 2 cans of beef broth
- For a spicy-tasting borsch, add a couple tbsp. of mild to medium salsa.
- A neat trick for a creamy flavor is to cook potatoes separately and mash with cream prior to adding to other ingredients
How to Make Gourmet Borscht
Do You Like Borsch?
© 2009 Athlyn Green