- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Homemade Borsch: A Rich-Tasting Soup Packed With Nutrition
I'll Have My Borsch With a Dollop of Sour Cream and Some Thick, Crusty Bread
Ah...homemade borsch. There's nothing quite like a bowl of rich borsch soup. Packed full of goodness, borsch contains a variety of vegetables and a combo of delicious flavors.
Made well, borsch is sublime. A bit of care and the right ingredients can produce a fabulous-tasting soup. Making borsch isn't difficult, once you have all the ingredients on hand.
This page includes a recipe for borsch and pointers on how to make this soup.
Homemade Borsch Recipe
Into First Pot
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onions.
Brown onions in butter in large fry pan or pot, then add:
- 6 cups of canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 8 cups finely grated cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
Cook at a moderate heat for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. While this is cooking:
Into Second Pot
- 12 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
Bring to a boil, then add:
- 8 medium potatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup finely diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced beets
Return to a soft boil. Add:
- 2 cups tomato juice
Simmer until potatoes are cooked. Remove potatoes and mash with 1/2 cup whipping cream. Add first mixture, along with the potatoes. Add finely chopped green onions and fresh dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe makes a generous amount of borsch, which can be frozen for future meals.
Borsch Flavor Boosters
- For extra flavor, add 2 cans of beef broth.
- For a spicy-tasting borsch, add a couple tbsp. of mild to medium salsa.
- A neat trick for a creamy flavor is to cook potatoes separately and mash with cream prior to adding to other ingredients.
How to Make Gourmet Borscht
Do You Like Borsch?
© 2009 Athlyn Green