Homemade Breakfast Sausage Recipe. Easy Instructions and Tips to Make Your Own Delicious Breakfast Sausage
I don't know why we all feel pretty comfortable making meatloaf, meatballs and hamburgers all on our own – but when it comes to sausage…we feel it's something we'd better buy ready made in the frozen food section.
The reality is, of course, that making sausage is no harder than making a good batch of meatloaf or burgers and if you don't feel the need for a casing, you can make your own breakfast sausage in about 3 minutes on a Sunday morning!!!
And 2 great reasons to do this are for better taste and a lower price.
The price of ready made breakfast sausage will be 2 or 3 times the cost of ground pork and seasonings and you end up paying a whole lot more for something that tastes a whole lot less good! Make your own breakfast sausage and have it exactly as you like it.
Easy Peasy Pork Breakfast Sausage
This recipe is open to a million and one variations. If you don’t like any of the spices as listed, leave them out. If you have a hankering for any other flavoring, by all means, toss it in!
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbls fresh sage leaves, minced
- A pinch of dried thyme
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger (use a microplane or similar rasp grater here for best results)
- A few good cranks on the pepper grinder
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Fry up a spoonful in a skillet to taste for seasoning and adjust tastes as needed.
- If you are using it right away, form the mixture into patties for breakfast sausage. The sausages are better if you handle them gently.
If you have prepared them in advance, these will keep refrigerated for a couple of days and frozen for months. If you are freezing them, it's a good idea to form the patties prior to freezing, for easy access on future mornings.
This mixture can be stiffed into casings if desired. If you have casings on hand, add in ¼ cup of cold water and mix the meat mixture up very well, until it looks almost pasty. Stuff as per normal.
Although you can make these sausages up right before frying (And they will taste great) they do benefit from a couple of hours of mellowing and melding as a batch in the fridge. For best taste, make up a batch on Saturday evening to be enjoyed on Sunday morning.
- Make your own bacon. Homemade bacon tastes fantastic...
Today's supermarket bacon is OK. I mean, you can't go too far wrong with bacon; but to really know good bacon you either need to find a great artisan producer, or make your own. Supermarket bacon is
- Delicious taco recipe. It's easy to make your own ta...
Forget those supermarket packages of
- Make your own Italian sausage. This recipe is so eas...
Making homemade Italian sausage is no harder than making a meatloaf. Here are easy to follow instructions and a recipe for fresh sweet Italian sausage!