- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make Homemade Chocolate
Healthy Almond Joy
Did you know that an almond is not technically a nut? According to our friend Wikipedia, the almond is a seed of the fruit of the almond tree. In Botanist terms, it is called a “drupe,” a fruit that has an outer fleshly pat surrounding a shell that contains a seed. In a Dieter's terms it is called a friend.
The everyday mysteries that make you stop and ponder what a real nut is? Examples of “Nuts” are cashews, walnuts, peanuts, and Charlie Sheen.
Perhaps we’ll let the botanist figure out the nut mystery. Let’s get back to the famous candies by Hershey, the Almond Joy and Mounds candy bar. Almond Joy is a milk chocolate candy that contains almonds, whereas Mounds has a dark chocolate layer without the almonds.
Dark chocolate, almonds, and coconut all have health properties so why not put them together to create a single melted oblivion? Let me share with you today a recipe that combines the best of both worlds, as I present to you the “Almound Joy.”
The original commercial song...
“Sometimes you feel like a nut.
Sometimes you don’t.
Almond Joy’s got nuts.
Almond Joy’s got rich milk chocolate
Coconut and crunch nuts, too.
Mounds’ got deep dark chocolate
And chewy coconut ...oooh”
Almond Joy candy
I do have to give credit to Elena's Pantry, who created the original homemade mounds recipe.
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
I decided to tweak it a bit, adding more shredded coconut and used honey instead of agave nectar. I also used a high quality bar of dark chocolate (70% cacao) for its health properties. Coconut oil has unique properties that act as antimicrobial, antioxidant, and anti-fungal, and plays an important role in maintaining cholesterol levels and weight loss. Almonds are one of the top power foods that keep our heart healthy.
Getting right to it, here is a recipe that is so easy and simple that you will think that Hershey is a genius. Well, they are.
Using real coconut flakes and melted dark chocolate, topped with a toasted single piece of almond, this treat will be a delightful “occasional snack.”
So if you like coconut, allow yourself to go nuts over this homemade candy. But promise me you won’t eat too much of it every day.
Recipe for Almound Joy
- 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon of honey or agave nectar
- 1 cup of organic dark chocolate
- Handful of raw almonds
Easiest directions ever!
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Mix coconut oil, honey and shredded coconut.
- Scoop a tablespoon full of the coconut mixture and flatten it in your hand.
- Put one almond in the middle of the flattened coconut mixture, and roll into a ball. You may want to squeeze it tight. Don't worry if the coconut oil ends up on your hands- its actually good for your skin anyway.
- Place your coconut balls on parchment paper. (Very important to use parchment paper)
- Place it in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, melt your dark chocolate bar in a non-stick pan.
- Take a spoon and drizzle the chocolate on the coconut balls.
- Put it back in the freezer for another 15 minutes, or until they've become hard.
*Optional: Toast the almonds for a more intense nutty flavor!
As you can see my Almound Joy is actually shaped like a ball. I can't seem to find my candy mold!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Turtlewoman has a sweet tooth bigger than her wallet can handle to pay for those dentist visits. A chocolate-loving, free spirited outdoor enthusiast who has never turned down a challenge. Learn more about her quirkiness and read some of her articles here...