- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Homemade Healthy Hummus Recipe with Garlic and Tahini
Have you made hummus with garlic and tahini? Let people know what you think!
Hummus has many health benefits.
If you enjoy hummus, consider making this healthy dip and spread at home. Hummus is inexpensive and easy to make. It comes together in minutes with a food processor. One of the best parts about making hummus yourself is that you can customize the recipe to suit your personal tastes and preferences. Once you have mastered the base recipe, there is no limit to the possible ingredient combinations.
- 2 cans beans, garbanzos / chick peas, white cannellini, OR black
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, add more for a smoother spread
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, chopped, fresh or refrigerated
- 1-2 generous tablespoons tahini, optional but it adds a smooth texture and a nutty hint
Did you know that you can make tahini at home?
Tip: Did you know that you can freeze hummus? Typically I split this hummus recipe into two Tupperware containers and freeze one for later. Frozen hummus keeps for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat it, let it thaw in the refrigerator for a full 24 hours.
- Drain and rinse the beans. I rinse them in a plastic colander.
- Add all ingredients to the bowl of a food processor.
- For a chunkier spread, blend for 1-2 minutes. For a smoother spread, blend for 4-5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve immediately.
- All hummus must be refrigerated.
- New Ways to Serve Hummus - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Mash some chick peas and mix them with tahini, oil, lemon juice, garlic and whatever else you like in your hummus, then try one of these new serving suggestions for hummus.
Baked Pita Chips Recipe
What can you serve with hummus?
There is no limit to the foods that you can serve with hummus. Once you get hooked on it, you'll be eating it with everything. However, here are just a few of the most popular options.
- Sesmark Savory Rice Thins. We almost always keep rice thins in the house just for hummus eating.
- Raw vegetables. Some people like to cut up vegetables such as cucumbers and tomatoes and spread hummus right on the slices.
- Toasted breads and bagels.
- Pita chips.
- Baked potatoes.
- Sandwich spread.
- Topping for fish or chicken.
- Filling for omelets.
- Pasta sauce.
Where can you purchase tahini?
Best Hummus Recipe
More Great Hummus Recipes
- Once Upon a Cutting Board
Natalie has hummus recipes that include pizza, beet, buffalo wing, spicy pumpkin, sweet potato, carrot, and masala. Type "hummus" in the search box to check out her recipes.
- Let Them Eat Hummus: 5 Healthy Recipes
These five simple, healthy, and unique hummus recipes do not disappoint: basic, roasted butternut squash, spicy jalapeno and lime, curried mango, and maple bacon with sun-dried tomatoes.
- Hummus for Garlic Lovers - An Authentic Middle Eastern Hummus Recipe
Take bland, commercially prepared hummus out of your life forever by making hummus at home with this authentic Middle Eastern hummus recipe.