Homemade Sausage Calzones
Prep time: 9 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ready in: 24 min
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet sausage, casings removed, can use spicy for more flavor
- 1 medium-sized red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 lbs fresh pizza dough, I used garlic flavored
- 1 1/4 cups marinara sauce, optional
- Garlic butter, optional
- Heat oven to 450. Coat 2 medium baking sheets with cooking spray; set aside. Crumble sausage into skillet and add peppers and onions. Sprinkle with Italian Seasoning and black pepper; cook for 9 minutes. Remove skillet from heat: drain off any fat. Stir in cheese and tomato sauce.
- Divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll out a circle or as close to a circle as you can get. The width of the circle depends on how doughy you like the calzones. I prefer my to be less doughy so I rolled mine out a bit thinner. My mom likes her a bit more doughy so I rolled hers out less.Place a healthy portion of filling onto the bottom half of the dough. Just enough filling to make it filling but not too much where the dough rips and won't fold over filling. Fold dough over filling; press edges together firmly to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges for more security so filling won't leak out. Cut 3 slits through the top. To give just a bit more flavor add some garlic butter to the top. (Note*) Bake at 425 for about 15 minutes. Check after 10 and rotate baking sheets. Cool slightly before serving. Serve with marinara if desired.
- To make garlic butter: 4 tbsp butter, 2 tsp dried parsley, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper.