Homemade Sesame-Flax Crackers
Crackers Loaded With Crunch
Crunchy Crackers Made With Sesame Seeds and Flax
Crackers are a tasty snack but what to do if you don't have any of the storebought variety on hand?
You can make your own crackers using everyday ingredients. There is no real mystery to crackers. They are a quick bread of sorts, leavened and rolled out thin and then baked in the oven
I love these homemade crackers. The butter adds richness and the sesame seeds add such a pleasing crunch.
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-11/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 6-8 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1/3-1/2 cup cold water
- flax seeds
Add Your Own Ingredients
The great thing about homemade crackers is that you can add your own ingredients and control amounts.
Adding the Crunchy Goodness of SeedsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Before You Begin
Toast the sesame seeds in butter until lightly browned, then set aside and allow to cool, prior to adding them to flour mixture.
- Stir together first four ingredients (flours, salt, and baking powder).
- Add in yogurt.
- Add toasted sesame seeds.
- Mix in water, until dough forms a ball.
- Sprinkle in flax seeds to preference.
- Roll out dough on floured surface(roll out to preference for either thin or thicker crackers) and cut into rounds with cookie cutters or into squares with a pizza wheel.
- Place on a buttered pan and prick crackers with a fork.
- Bake at 325 until lightly browned, about 10-15 min.
- 4 tbsp. bran flakes
- 4 tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds
- Add more water if necessary
Tasty and Healthful
This is a healthful cracker as compared to crackers made with preservatives and artificial flavorings. When you make your own, you know exactly what goes into them.
Do you use flax and sesame seeds when you make crackers?
© 2008 Athlyn Green