Creamy Hot Chocolate Recipe
If you want to indulge in a rich and creamy cup of hot cocoa, then this is the recipe for you.
I always make hot cocoa to sip while we decorate the Christmas tree, so I really wanted the perfect recipe. I was unable to find something that seemed special enough to make for the occasion. I decided to play around with a recipe, determined to perfect it. Three winters later, I finally found the perfect flavor and texture.
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 4 cups plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- With a whisk, mix unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, and water in a saucepan until smooth.
- Continuing to stir, heat over medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat, simmer, and stir until sugar has dissolved (approximately two minutes).
- Stir in milk. Mixture may become thick. Stir until smooth. Heat until milk becomes very hot. Do not boil.
- Remove from heat. Add coconut milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
|Serving size: 10 oz|
|Calories from Fat||99|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 11 g||17%|
|Saturated fat 7 g||35%|
|Unsaturated fat 4 g|
|Carbohydrates 41 g||14%|
|Sugar 37 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 10 g||20%|
|Cholesterol 40 mg||13%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- If you prefer a sweeter hot cocoa, add 1/4 cup of sugar
- Replace the sugar with a sweetener to reduce calories
- If you do not have heavy cream on hand or want to reduce calories, replace the cream with half and half or milk
- For additional flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- For a vegan friendly version, replace the milk and cream with a vegan friendly milk, such as soy milk or almond milk
- Single Cup Hot Cocoa
If you want to try this recipe but only want to make one serving, visit this link.