How To Butterfly Shrimp, Batter & Fry It
How to Butterfly Shrimp
A Guide on How to Butterfly Shrimp
Shrimp are delicious. There is just no getting around that fact. If you have been to a nice seafood restaurant and have had a gorgeous shrimp cocktail with huge butterfly shrimp hanging off the glass, your mouth has probably watered. Believe it or not, though, you do not have to go to a restaurant to get that great look. You can do it in your kitchen! In this article I will show you how to butterfly shrimp, and will even include a tasty butterfly shrimp recipe for your recipe collection.
How to Butterfly Shrimp: Tools and Preparation
The only way to properly learn how to butterfly shrimp is to equip yourself with the right tools. To butterfly shrimp, you will need to start with a cutting board (to protect your kitchen counters). A paring knife is also very useful, as are a pair of kitchen shears. If you can find a small pair, that will work; if not, a regular pair will do.
To prepare your shrimp, first make sure that they have been peeled. This includes ensuring that their head and legs have been removed, but not the tail. You should also remove the veins in the shrimp. While they are not harmful, they are unsightly, and getting rid of them will just make your shrimp look better. As far as shrimp go, I recommend buying jumbo shrimp. It is just easier to butterfly them.
Butterflied Shrimp: Impress your Guests
Read My Other Hubs
- Shrimp Pasta Tomato Sauce
Great Shrimp Pasta Tomato Sauce Recipe. In order to make wonderful shrimppasta tomato You will need tasty omato sauce for the shrimp pasta. Here is a wonderful shrimp pasta tomato sauce recipe.
How do You Like Shrimp?
Tell us how you feel about shrimp.
How to Butterfly Shrimp: Procedure
- Once you have prepped your shrimp, take your paring knife or your kitchen shears and place them at the top of the shrimp, at the head region.
- Insert the blade into the shrimp, about ¾ of the way through (careful not to go all the way through. You will want to carefully cut down the center of the shrimp’s back to the tail.
- Once you have done this, use your fingers to open up the flesh of the shrimp until the meat is flat.
- At this time removing the central vein is easier than if you try to do it before opening up the shrimp.
- All you have to do now is thoroughly wash the shrimp in cold water (being careful to not let the shrimp meat collapse or fall apart.
You can use butterfly shrimp in a lot of different ways, but here is suggestion for your next meal:
Rate This Recipe
If you don't live near the ocean, order quality shrimp.
How to Butterfly Shrimp: A Delicious Shrimp Recipe
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp
- 2/3 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 minced clove of garlic
- Vegetable oil
- Once you have butterflied your shrimp, place them aside in the refrigerator while you prepare the breading. Take your flour and mix it together with the dry ingredients (curry, garlic, and salt).
- Then, add in the egg, milk, and water. Stir until you get a batter. Then, place a few drops of cornstarch on a piece of wax paper and gently drag your shrimp through it so that you get a light coating of cornstarch on both sides. This will help your batter stick to your shrimp.
- Then, dip the shrimp into your batter, making sure that the shrimp is covered up to the tip of the tail. Heat your oil in a deep saucepan or pot until it is hot enough for frying. Then dip each shrimp into the oil until the batter has turned a nice, golden brown.
- If your shrimp are too oily, just pat them with a paper towel. Then, let cool and serve. I recommend lemon juice and cocktail sauce to go with your newly-created butterfly shrimp.