- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How To Cook Lobster - Easy!
Lobsters are found around the world. In different countries many diverse nationalities practice how to cook lobster with more than a little success. They opt for:
- American Lobster
- Rock Lobster
- Langostino and
They hold lobster bakes or attend lobster festivals. Here they share the different ways on how to cook lobster. Traditional recipes and local wisdom are mixed in with wild tales of enormous lobsters.
If you want to learn how to cook lobster, read on. This article provides you with simple instructions on the 3 main methods of preparation. These are boiling, steaming and grilling. However, before learning how to cook lobster, you have to with the necessity of first killing the lobster.
How to Cook Lobster - Killing it First
If you have bought a frozen lobster, then the deed is already done for you. You can then ignore this section and go right to how to cook lobster. If your lobster is alive and still kicking, you need to consider the mode of its demise. Before cooking the lobster, you must decide how to kill him or her.
There are several methods of slaying the crustacean.
1. Boil it
If you plan to boil your lobster, you can immerse the creature in boiling water. This is said to kill almost instantly. One way of cutting down the supposed pain is to freeze the lobster for 15 minutes before hand to dull the sensory organs. When you are ready to place into the water, remove the lobster from the freezer and lower it in. Make sure you place him or her in front claws (bound tightly) first.
2. Cleave it
If you are seeking for a more humane method, try this one. Just prior to your endeavour to learn how to cook lobster, place the claw-bound lobster on a wooden surface. A cutting board is fine. Take a very sharp chef’s knife. Hold it carefully. Raise it to where the lobster has its head. Check to see where the midway point lies between the eyes. Take the knife and plunge it into this spot.
After the knife has passed directly through the shell and flesh into the wood below, take the blade and angle it toward the head. Bring it down and cleave the lobster in 2. This will ensure the lobster is dead. You can then continue with your attempt to learn how to cook lobster.
3 and 4 - Decapitate or freeze it
There are 2 other alternatives. You can cut the head off swiftly. You can also place the lobster in the freezer for an hour. Both methods result in death. Once dead, you can proceed to discover what method is best for you. How to cook lobster is then a matter of selecting the right method for you and your guest.
How to Cook Lobster by Boiling
This is the most common and easiest method. If you want to learn how to cook lobster in a few easy steps, try this basic approach.
- Take 1 large pot and fill it about b full of salted water. Many prefer the original sea water. You can substitute salty tap water. It means 1 or 2 tablespoons of salt per quart of water.
- Bring the water to a roiling boil on the selected heat source - fire or range.
- Take the lobster and add head first into the water. Place the lid firmly on.
- Bring the water back to a boil.
- Reduce and allow the water to simmer.
- Cook the lobster for between 10-12 minutes if the seafood weighs between 1 and 1.5 pounds.
- When it is time to remove, either drain out the water or remove the lobsters with a tong. You can then reload with more lobsters.
Your pan awaits, Mr Lobster...
How to Cook Lobster by Steaming
Another preferred method of how to cook lobster is steaming. If you wish to discover how to cook lobster by steaming simply follow the directions below.
- Make sure you have a large pot ready.
- Inside the pot, place a steamer rack.
- Fill the contraption until about 2" deep with water.
- Wait until the water reaches a roiling boil before placing the lobster inside.
- Leave a 1lb lobster for 1 minute.
- Remove and place aside to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Order Lobster (From Amazon of all places!)
How to Cook a Lobster by Broiling
Some people learn how to cook a lobster using the broiling method. This involves a method known as parboiling.
- You bring water to a boil in a large pot.
- You then place the lobster in for a minute.
- You quickly extract the meat and use it in various recipes that involve broiling and frying.
This is one method of how to cook lobster that results in great variety and expands the possibilities.
How To Cook a Lobster - Conclusions
If you wish to learn how to cook lobster be aware of the 3 basic methods: boiling, steaming and broiling. The most common of these is boiling. Many purists, however, believe the only way to learn how to cook a lobster correctly is to follow the methods of many chefs - steam it. They argue that the method of steaming seals the flavor in more surely than does boiling. They do have 1 specific point in their favor. You can save time and prepare more lobster quicker in this method. Steaming a lobster is faster than boiling it. In the end, however, it is up to you what method you use. How to cook lobster, your lobster, is a personal choice.
This hub brought to you....
by Julie-Ann Amos, professional writer, and owner of international writing agency www.ExquisiteWriting.com
Why not create your own HubPages? It's fun and you can make revenue from Adsense and other revenue streams on your pages. JOIN HUBPAGES NOW - SIMPLY CLICK HERE...
This work is licenced under the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License. To view a copy of this licence, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ or send a letter to CreativeCommons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California94105, USA.