How To Make Blondies
I can hear you now, "What the heck are blondies?". Well, they are like brownies and are delicious, contain no chocolate, and taste like butterscotch.
Years ago, there used to be a blondies mix that could be bought in stores. I'm not sure of the brand, but they were so good! I haven't seen them for years, so I've been searching online for something that will do.
After 5 or 6 trials, I think I've found the taste I'm looking for. These taste like butterscotch, even though you don't have to put butterscotch chips in it if you don't want to. I used white chips in this batch and they are delicious! You could also add nuts or whatever you'd like. Well, within reason! Only add 1/2 cup of nuts, chips, etc.
Without further ado, here's my recipe for what I like to call "Blondies Not Brownies!"
Blondies Not Brownies recipe!
- 1 stick(8 tablespoons) melted butter or margarine
- 1 cup tightly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten lightly
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- Optional: 1/2 cup of butterscotch chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 8" x 8" pan with cooking spray.
- Melt margarine in microwave safe mixing bowl.
- Add tightly packed brown sugar to bowl and mix well.
- Add beaten egg and vanilla extract.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Stir in butterscotch chips or other optional items.
- Pour into pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes - test with toothpick: comes out clean, it's done!
- Let cool, cut into squares or triangles or whatever and share!
- Yes, you have to share.