How To Make Homemade Ice Cream Easily
How To Make Ice Cream From Home
Do you really want some ice cream? Do you want the satisfaction of making your own ice cream from home? If you wish to know how to make homemade ice cream you've come to the right place! Making ice cream from home can be as easy as following any other recipe.
Ice Cream Makers
Ice Cream Making Tools
Some tools you may need to make ice cream:
Ice Cream Maker - I guess this one is pretty obvious. You don't necessarily need an ice cream maker, but it does make the process easier. There are two types of ice cream maker: one with a manual churn and one with a motorized churn. The churn is the piece of equipment that mixes the ingredients into ice cream. Some models require that the ingredients be frozen before hand while others have built in freezing units that keeps the ice cream container cold.
Glass Bowl - A bowl is used for mixing ingredients and chilling the ice cream mixture before freezing.
Hand Held Electric Mixer - The mixer will act as our churn if you are not making the homemade ice cream with an ice cream maker.
Stirring Utensil - A spatula, wooden spoon, or non-scratch type of spoon will be needed for stirring when making the ice cream mixture and for removing the ice cream from the ice cream can or bowl.
Heavy Saucepan or Double Boiler - A heavy saucepan will be required when making custard based ice cream and also for scalding milk or half and half used in non-custard type ice cream.
Ice Cream Scoop
Some Basic Ingredients For Making Ice Cream
Ingredients for Homemade Ice Cream:
Cream - I recommend whipping cream because heavy cream makes the ice cream very thick and almost buttery in texture.
Milk - I recommend 1% through whole milk. Anything with less fat will cause the ice cream to taste watery.
Flavorings - Vanilla is the most common flavor, but you can add what ever you can think of: brownies, peppermints, candy bars, chocolate, strawberry. etc.
Instructions To Make Homemade Ice Cream
In order to make homemade ice cream you will first have to get a recipe for the type of ice cream you wish to make. I have included a few of my favorite homemade ice cream recipes in case you have difficulty deciding.
Once you have gotten to the churning/freezing part of the recipe, most of the time it will mention using an ice cream maker. Each ice cream maker will come with its own set of instructions. Follow these instructions if you are making homemade ice cream with an ice cream maker.
If you are not using an ice cream maker, follow the instructions below:
- Create the mixture according to the recipe you are following and chill it.
- After letting the ice cream mixture chill for a little while, transfer the mixture to a freezer safe bowl. Cover the bowl with some form of airtight cover (a lid, seran wrap, tin foil) and place the concoction in the freezer.
- The ice cream mixture should freeze for approximately 2 hours. Take the mixture out of the freezer, beat it with a hand mixer, fork, or food processor to break up ice crystals that have formed. Then, cover it back up, and place it back in the freezer. Let freeze for 2 more hours. Take it out again and beat the ice cream mixture with the hand mixer, fork, or food processor again.
- Add the flavor you wish it to be and mix the flavoring in. Store the ice cream in a freezer safe, air tight container. Place it in the freezer and freeze until it is a semisolid consistency. Try not to leave the ice cream in the freezer for more than a couple days as it will be hard and icey.
How To Make Homemade Ice Cream! (Without an ice cream maker!)
Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
- Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Pecans and brown sugar are featured in this simple cooked ice cream.
- Easy Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Sweetened condensed milk, chocolate syrup and whipped cream make for a heavenly, rich chocolate made-in-the-freezer ice cream.
- Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips. This velvety textured frozen delight will satisfy any chocolate craving
- Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe - Allrecipes.com
No cook ice cream.