- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Easy Recipe For Delicious Key Lime Pie From Scratch!
Key Lime Pie
Top signs of a bad Key Lime Pie
Like so many things in life, the
easiest way to know what makes a good Key Lime Pie is to understand what makes a
- If it's bright green, it's crap!
- If one of the ingredients is Jello, skip it
- If it has a pastry crust, move on
- If you have to cook the filling before you make the pie, it's not the real thing
- If the recipe for the filling has more than 3 ingredients, and none of them is Lime Juice, don't bother
With those tips in mind, here is the simplest, most delicious Key Lime Pie I've ever had.
The filling has just 3 ingredients, and it takes all of five minutes to prepare
if you choose to use bottled Key Lime Juice. If you use fresh Key Limes
(obviously better, but not available everywhere) it will take the amount
of time you spend squeezing the Key Limes, plus 5 more minutes!
The biggest hassle of making this recipe with Fresh Key Limes is, of course, squeezing the 12 to 15 of them you'll need. If you plan on doing this more than once, I highly recommend getting a lime squeezer or other juice squeezer...
If you're using bottled Key Lime Juice, I recommend
brand, made from Key Limes grown and processed in the Florida Keys -
plus it's great for Margarita's and BBQ! Nellie and Joe's
Please note that regular Limes are completely different from Key Limes, and you shouldn't try to substitute regular limes in this recipe!
Once the limes are squeezed the rest is utter simplicity, and you'll be amazed at how tasty the result is given how few ingredients there are!
- 1 1/4 cups Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 5 tablespoons Unsalted Butter, melted
- (Or 1 9 inch Store Bought Graham Cracker Crust)
- 1 14 ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 4 large Egg Yolks
- 1/2 half cup plus 2 tablespoons Key Lime Juice
- 2 teaspoons of Lime Zest (optional, if you decide to squeeze your own juice)
For the Crust:
- Stir all three ingredients together in a 9 inch pie pan and use your fingers to form it into crumbs.
- Press the crumb layer evenly across the bottom of the pan with the back of a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
For the Filling:
- Whisk together the Sweetened Condensed Milk and Egg Yolks.
- Add the Key Lime Juice and mix until
thoroughly combined. If you've squeezed your own lime juice, then use a lemon zester to remove about 2 teaspoons of Zest from the limes and add it to the mixture.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- Remove Pie from oven and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
Best served with Fresh Whipped Cream!
This Recipe is from Edweirdo's Cookbook!
Looking for more fast and easy cooking recipes?
Check out Edweirdo's Cookbook for great FREE recipes online!