How To Prepare Mushrooms In White Sauce
Mushrooms can make a delicious side dish to go along with meat, pasta, potatoes, rice, or other foods.When buying mushrooms from a supermarket, or fruit & vegetable store, make sure that they are firm and not slimy or spoiled.Once you have bought the mushrooms, try to prepare them right away, as leaving them in the fridge for too long, especially in a plastic bag, can cause them to spoil.
I am a huge fan of mushrooms and love to prepare them myself. Here is one of my recipes. If you love to cook, I hope that you give my recipe a try. You will enjoy it.
- 1 medium onion
- large pack mushrooms, small white or brown mushrooms (criimini)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- roasted sesame seeds
- dried parsley flakes
- canola oil
- sea salt
- 1 small piece of cheese, gryuere, cheddar, asiago, manchego
- Take a large package of mushrooms, carefully wash them to remove any dirt and cut into pieces. Remember that mushrooms shrink dramatically when they cook, so be sure to have plenty of mushrooms on hand. You will also notice that as the mushrooms cook, there will be liquid in the skillet. Do not drain this liquid as it is needed for the sauce.
- Add canola oil to a skillet on medium heat and add the mushrooms
- While the mushrooms are cooking (over medium heat), wash a carrot, peel, and cut into slices. Also, peel a medium onion and cut it into cubes. Add the carrots and the onions to the mushrooms and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't forget to add some sea salt.
- Take two big tablespoons of sour cream, two big tablespoons of mayo, and a tablespoon of grape seed oil, and mix together in a small bowl or cup. After the mushrooms have cooked for about 15 minutes, add this mixture to the skillet, and add the shredded cheese. Then sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and dried parsley flakes and stir. Let the mushrooms cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. After about a total of 20 minutes cooking time, turn off the heat, and let the skillet sit covered. Then fill up your plate and enjoy - either as a side dish or as a complete meal. Don't forget some bread.
You can prepare mushrooms a similar way without adding any carrots, roasted sesame seeds, or cheese and they will still taste great.
© 2010 Lena Kovadlo