How to Cook Spinach Pesto Pasta Using Alternative Ingredients
Pesto is a sauce originated in Genoa, Liguria, Italy. The traditional pesto recipe consists of garlic, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, olive oil, and basil leaves. In this recipe, I make use of alternative ingredients to create my own Spinach Pesto. Check out my recipe for homemade pesto pasta.
For the Sauce:
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup cooking oil, any kind
- 1/4 cup salted cheese, any kind
- 2 tablespooms peanut
- 1 clove garlic
- salt, as needed
- pepper, as needed
For the Pasta:
- 200 grams spaghetti noodles
- medium bowl
- 3 small bowl
- small plate
- measuing cups
- measuring spoons
- Toast peanuts in a pan until oil starts to appear. Set aside.
- In a blender, put chese, garlic, peanuts, spinach, salt, pepper, and oil
- Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring to boil water seasoned with oil in a pot.
- Add spaghetti pasta. Cook until tender.
- Remove pasta from water once cooked. Set aside.
- In a pan, heat the spinach pesto sauce. Add cooked pasta. Toss until everything is well-combined.
- Season with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve while still hot. Sprinkle additional cheese on top.
Tips and Techniques
- Serve pasta with toasted garlic bread.
- Toast nuts to bring out its flavors.
- Use any salty variety of cheese to replace the parmesan.
- Choose any other healthy oil aside from olive oil.
- Adjust salt and pepper based on taste.
- Cook pasta until al dente or until cooked but still firm.
© 2019 Travel Chef