How to Cook a Potato in the Microwave
Rate this Microwave Baked Potato!
Microwave baked pototato
Microwave Potatoes Taste Great
While I prefer oven baked potatoes, sometimes I don't have the 45 minutes it takes to cook them in the oven. So, when we are doing a quick simple dinner, I'll cook potatoes in the microwave. They're one of the best foods to cook in the microwave, although the skin will never come out crispy.
It's really easy to cook a potato in the microwave and it has a really similar taste as a oven-baked potato. Here is the recipe.
Cook Time for Microwaved Potato
Microwave Potato Ingredients
- 1 potaoto, medium sized russet
- 1 tablespoon butter, optional
- 1 tablespoon sourcream, optional
- 1 teaspoon chives, optional
- 1 teaspoon bacon bits, optional
Instructions for a Microwave Baked Potato
- Get a Russet potato and clean it. Scrub the outside of the potato under some running cold water and get it clean. So clean that there won't be any dirt on it if you decide to eat the skin.
- Place the potato on a plate and poke holes in it with a fork. I usually poke about three sets of holes with my fork. This will allow steam to escape as the potato cooks. If a potato is left un-poked, the steam can build up and rupture the potato, so be sure to poke holes in it.
- Place the potato in the microwave and cook it in two minute increments. A medium sized potato takes about six minutes and a large potato may take up to ten minutes. When you cook it in two minute increments, you can check it after the four minute mark. If a fork goes in easily, the potato is done. If you're cooking several potatoes at once, just add two minutes to each interval per potato.
- When the potatoes are done cooking, they will be very hot. Place them on a plate and let them sit for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Add toppings to your potatoes. My favorites are butter, sour cream, milk, chives and bacon.