How to Grill Yam and Cheese Quesadillas
Anyone who spends their afternoons smoking pork or chicken or preparing steak for the grill, knows it's the in-between times, when we invent those killer side dishes that are what we talk about when the meal is over. This recipe is inspired by the 'Yam and Cheese Sandwich' from Q, a cafe in Alameda California. It's super easy to prepare and a perfect companion to whatever else you have on the grill.
Yam and Cheese Tortillas in Pictures
Prep and Cooking Time
- 1 Yam or Sweet Potato, Average 6 inch in length
- 2 Soft tortillas, 8 inch diameter
- 4 cups Turnip, Chard, Beet or other green
- 1 cup Feta cheese
- Tablespoon Olive oil
How to prepare and cook
- Clean a yam or sweet potato and wrap in foil. Place away from coals on a Weber grill that has been prepared with coals for the indirect heat method. e.g.) Coals at one end of the grill, and food at the other end, with no coals underneath.
- Prepare greens stove top. Saute with olive oil, adding sea salt to taste. Optionally, saute with garlic, soy sauce or a balsamic based marinade
- After an hour on the grill, the yams will be soft. Unwrap from foil and scrape flesh of the potato from the skin, onto a tortilla thathas been brushed with olive oil.
- Add feta cheese, and greens. Place a second oil brushed tortilla on top of the quesedilla and return to grill.
- Grill on direct heat (but make sure the heat is fairly low) for 5 minutes a side or till the totillas are crispy.
- Remove from grill. Cut into quarters and serve.