- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
How to Make Cauliflower Cheesy Bread
I like cheesy bread as an appetizer and have been trying to eat less carbohydrates in my diet. So, when I found a recipe for pizza crust made with cauliflower, I wanted to figure out how to make it into cheesy bread. Cauliflower is a wonderful vegetable because it is low in carbs and can be used in many different recipes in so many different ways. I also recently found out that it is a great cancer fighter, so I am trying to get it into my family's diet much more than before. I think it works as a wonderful pizza crust substitute, and even better as a cheesy bread.
The sauce is very easy to make. It is just a small can of tomato sauce with added pizza seasonings. This is great for dipping the cheesy bread into. If you don't have a "pizza seasoning" spice, you can use dried oregano, basil, marjoram and garlic powder as a substitute and make your own. This can also be topped with added mozzarella cheese or even pepperoni to change up the cheesy bread. Any way you try it, I hope you like it and enjoy my version of cauliflower cheesy bread!
- 1 cup cauliflower, riced or chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp pizza seasoning
- dash salt, freshly ground
- dash pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Wash and dry head of cauliflower. Cut up into small pieces, you want them to be about the size of rice or just a little bigger. A food processor will make very quick work of this task. You can use a whole small head of cauliflower or 1/2 of a large one. The amount of cauliflower should equal the amount of cheese, i.e. one cup cauliflower to one cup cheese. Place "riced" cauliflower onto lightly greased cookie sheet. Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil over the cauliflower and a little salt and pepper. Roast in preheated oven about 20 minutes, checking and turning after 10 minutes so it does not burn.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, break egg and whisk it so it is blended. Add riced cauliflower and shredded cheddar cheese. This will make a loose "dough". You could also used some mozzarella cheese in the mix if you so choose. Add 1/2 tsp of pizza seasoning to the mix. Blend well.
- Grease another cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Take your cauliflower/cheese mixture and spread it out on the cookie sheet like a pizza crust. Leave it about a 1/4" thick. Bake in the oven (still at 350°) for about 20 minutes. The cheese should really start bubbling and it should crisp up around the edges and on the top some. Check this at 15 minutes to make sure the bottom is not burning. I also run a metal spatula under the cheesy bread to make sure it is not sticking to the pan.
- While cheesy bread is cooking, heat the tomato sauce and remaining 1/2 tsp pizza seasoning through until it is warm. This is a very easy and tasty pizza sauce, use more or less seasoning to your taste. It is great for dipping the cheesy bread in!