- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
How to Make Chicken Pot Pies
Chicken pot pie is a delicious homemade dinner. It is one of my husband's favorite comfort foods and under his direction over the years, I have come up with this simple, tasty recipe. It is also a great way to get vegetables into my children. It is fun for the kids to get their own pot pie in a crock. It makes the meal more appealing for them. They also love that the pot pies are topped with crescent rolls, they love dipping the pieces into the filling as they break them off.
I never really made pot pies until I married my husband. He used to be a baker at a great restaurant/bakery that was located in Madison, WI called Ovens Of Brittany. He learned many good recipes working there and baking tips. I based my pot pie recipe off of the one he used to make from the Ovens restaurant. Mine does not have quite as many ingredients or spices, but I believe it is simpler to make and just as tasty as the original recipe. My husband loves it, too, and he is the real judge since he used to eat there all the time. He says mine is just as good as the restaurant's was! One thing that the restaurant used to do was brush a little egg white on top of the crescent roll before baking. I try to remember to do that also as it makes the pot pie a little more fancy.
These individual pot pies also freeze and reheat well. You can make a lot of these up at once ahead of time and freeze them for future use. Then, just pull them out one at a time when you're in the mood for a pot pie and reheat it in a 300° oven. This should take about 15 - 20 minutes, but possibly could be a bit longer. I hope if you get a chance to try my recipe for pot pies you enjoy them!
- 2-3 cups chicken, pre-cooked and diced
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp flour, I use unbleached
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can cream of potato soup
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 tsp salt, I use freshly ground sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper, freshly ground
- 1 can crescent rolls, I use butter crescents
- Melt 5 Tbsp butter in large skillet, I used my favorite large cast iron skillet. Heat on a low to medium heat. Add the 5 Tbsp of flour to make a rue.
- Slowly add the chicken broth to the rue, stir until well blended and there are no lumps in the broth. Add the vegetables, I used frozen so I put the peas and corn in first. I sliced the carrots thin and added them after allowing the frozen veggie to cook about 5 minutes.
- Allow the veggies to cook for about 10 minutes and then add the cream of potato soup and pre-cooked chicken. Add the salt and pepper. Let it cook for another 20 minutes or so on the stove top.
- Dish out your pot pie filling into individual baking dishes. Top each one with two crescent rolls. I brushed an egg white on top of each individual pot pie to make it shiny. Place the dishes on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven at 300° for 25 - 30 minutes. The crescent roll top will become a beautiful golden brown in color. These are very simple, tasty homemade pot pies. I hope you like my recipe!