How to Make Cream of Mushroom and Clam Soup
This recipe for cream of mushroom soup with clams uses canned minced clams and fresh button mushrooms. It is cream based using half and half, and is flavored with freshly ground black pepper. Keep the clam juices when opening the canned clams for use in the soup.
- 1 7-oz can of minced clams
- 1/4 cup small diced celery hearts
- 1 small onion small diced
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 oz unsalted butter
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- Open the canned clams and drain the juices into a sauce pan. Add the small diced celery hearts and onion. Simmer the vegetables over medium heat in the clam juice until softened.
- Add in the half and half. Do not allow to boil, just keep at medium to medium-low heat.
- While the onions and celery hearts are simmering in the half and half and clam base, melt the unsalted butter in a separate saute pan. Saute the mushrooms until lightly browned.
- Add the sauteed mushrooms into the soup mixture and season with the salt, black pepper and dry mustard. Bring up the temperature and cook until the mixture is very hot, and serve immediately.