How to Make Delicious Twice Baked Potatoes
This is one amazing side dish that could just as easily be used as a main dish for any meal. To be honest, they're great for any day and are super tasty and filling.
Take baked potatoes to the ultimate level of creamy, cheesy, buttery goodness. Then top with bacon. Mmm bacon!
One of the things I like about twice-baked potatoes is that they are very versatile. You can really add in any mix-ins you want and don't have to limit yourself to the ones in this recipe. Don't particularly like normal potato toppings? No problem.
Add blue cheese and chives, just bacon and cheese, ranch dressing and onions, onion soup mix and shredded chicken, bbq sauce and shredded beef, or just about anything else you can wrap your mind around.
These twice baked potatoes are even great to keep in the freezer for busy days or unexpected company!
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 8 slices bacon, will set some aside for garnish
- 1 cup sour cream, with more for garnish
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, with more for garnish
- 4 bunches green onions, with more for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rectangular casserole dish generously with cooking spray.
- Wash your potatoes well with water and scrub the outsides to get rid of any debris.
- Poke tons of holes all over each of the potatoes
- Place them in the casserole dish and bake them for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, cook your bacon in a large skillet until crispy.
- When done, remove and place on a paper towel to soak up any extra grease.
- When cool, crumble it all up, separate it in half into two smaller bowls and set aside for later.
- Chop your green onions and separate them into two bowls, one for mixing and one for garnishing. Set aside for later.
- When your potatoes are done, let them cool thoroughly.
- When cool, cut them in half lengthwise. Scrape out the insides of each into a large mixing bowl. Be careful not to destroy your potato skins, as you will be using them again for refilling.
- In your large mixing bowl, crush up all of your potatoes.
- Then add your 1 cup of sour cream, the 1/2 cup of milk, 4 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper. Mix well until relatively smooth. (You will probably want to use a hand mixer.)
- Add half of your bacon crumbles, your 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and your green onions chopped for mixing. Fold in your ingredients gently to mix all ingredients well.
- Lay out all 8 of your potato skin halves in your rectangular casserole dish.
- Spoon the potato mixture you've created evenly into all 8 of your potato skin halves. The mixture will probably overfill all of your skins. That's wonderful!
- Bake your refilled potatoes in your preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- When done, let your potatoes cool slightly before serving.
- Top with your extra sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon crumbles and green onions for topping. Yummy! Yummy!
|Serving size: 1 half a potato|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Carbohydrates 33 g||11%|
|Fiber 8 g||32%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 22 mg||7%|
|Sodium 130 mg||5%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
This recipe is SO much better than regular baked potatoes. You know when you're served a baked potato and you never truly get enough of any of the toppings you're looking for?
Even when you make your own baked potatoes, you simply cannot cover every inch of every bite in all of the delicious toppings you love so much.
THIS is the key! BY mixing them all in at the start, not only do you have delicious toppings on top of your potato, but you have yummy deliciousness wrapped up and mixed all in every inch of your potato.
I told you this is better than regular baked potatoes, and I really like baked potatoes. lol I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!