- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
French Toast Sandwich with Elephants
Novelty and Gourmet Foods
After an acquaintance dyed cake batter black unbeknownst to us, frosted it with red icing, cut and served it to us, broke into gales of screaming laughter and rolled on the floor, I thought "Hmmm."
This occurred after he had made a pot of stew with popcorn and pickles in it. Perhaps he actually wanted to be a pop food artist, but would not admit it, because it was not "manly" enough. That was in the days before chef based reality shows. Fighting in the Gulf War was apparently manly and the odd foods were served at a kind of going away to the desert party. Some though this chef wanted to do something so odd and annoying in order that we would not forget him if he did not return. Those of us in attendance began to head for the door.
However, this Persian Gulf inclined oddball brought out a good frying pan and prepared a recipe similar to the one listed below (I have added ingredients over the years.)
It was quite good.
(Oh, did he come back? Yes, and disappeared into the land of OOOOO-klahoma, where elephants stand in the corn fields to measure whether the corn is yet eye-high. Or is that Munchkin Land?)
The Official Elephant Corn Maze of 2000
Please rate our sandwich!
Gourmet Ham & Cheese on French Toast
- Cast Iron Skillet
- Large but shallow Bowl or Pan - a cake pan would do.
- Sourdough Bread
- 1 Large Egg per sandwich
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 or 2 slices of Deli Boiled Ham or sliced Baked Ham from another meal
- 2 slices of Swiss, Muenster, or Sharp Cheddar Cheese per sandwich. Some diners enjoy Pepper Jack instead, or add a Tablespoon of a good Pimento Cheese Spread in the center.
- Cream or Whole Milk
- A dash of Nutmeg and Cinnamon
- Vegetable Oil or Butter
OPTIONAL FILLING ADDITIONS
- Thinly sliced and lightly sauteed Bermuda or Vidalia Onion
- Thinly sliced and lightly sauteed Green Bell Pepper Rings
- 2 cooked but not crunchy rashers of Bacon per sandwich
- Other, of your choice
- Mix about 2-inches high an amount of milk and the eggs together very well in the pan you have selected. Add salt and pepper to your taste preference as well as nutmeg and cinnamon and mix well.
- Build sandwiches upward with a slice of bread on the bottom, 1 slice cheese, meat, a small mount of any other filling you prefer, another cheese slice, and top bread slice.
- Heat the frying pan over a medium level of heat.
- Add oil or butter to coast the bottom of the hot pan.
- Dip a sandwich into the egg mixture, turning over twice to ensure complete coverage.
- Cook the sandwich on the first side until golden brown, checking with a spatula, and turn the sandwich and repeat. Each side may take 4-5 minutes, and turn down the heat of the sandwich is cooking too quickly, to avoid burning.
- Use additional oil or butter for each sandwich as needed.
You can also make a smaller sandwich by using only one bread slice, cut diagonally, to make a half sandwich.
For additional ideas, see Doctor Toast's Amazing World of Toast.
Powdered Toast Man
French Toast, Grilled Cheese, and Montecristo Ham and Cheese Sandwiches can be found at elephant-related restaurants and pubs around the world.
Elephant French Toast
- Boston Menu, The Elephant Walk Restaurants
Elephant Walk Restaurant in Boston,Cambridge, and Waltham MA. French and International cuisine, including French Taste. Interesting Blog included.
- Elephant & Castle in Dublin
Serving New York style classic dishes for over 2 decades has made Elephant & Castle a landmark of Dublins dining culture. The menu is extensive and irresistible, the décor is both wonderful and quirky.
- Elephant Walk - Stillwater, Minnesota Bed and Breakfast Inn
Elephant Walk Bed & Breakfast - Stillwater, Minnesota. Four elegant guest rooms and a delightful menu that includes Stuffed French Toast.
The Brass Elephant Restaurant and Caterers closed for business in Baltimore in late 2009, to the consternation if its client. The Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast was just one of the delicacies on the Sunday Brunch menu. The building went on the market in late 2014 for about $800,000.
The Brass Elephant is for Sale
Elephant Health and SafetyClick thumbnail to view full-size
- The Elephant Sanctuary, Hohenwald, Tennessee
The Elephant Sanctuary of Hohenwald, Tennessee is a natural-habitat refuge where sick, old and needy elephants can once again walk the Earth in peace and dignity.
- Thai Elephant Motala Updates Pictures 1999 to 2009 Thailand Hospital Prosthesis Landmine Soraida Sal
Motala Updates 2009! - Elephant landmine victim rescue at Thailand Vet Hospital. Motala the Elephant lost a foot at work in Thailand in 1999, but the people of the country donated money to help. She now is mentor to an injured baby girl elephant.
- Arkansas elephant sanctuary?
Controversy surrounds the Riddle Elephant Sanctuary in Arkansas, especially their training methods and animal management school and the story of Tumai, killed buy a bulldozer/skiploader... See comments section below.
© 2009 Patty Inglish