- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
How to Make Quick and Easy Vegan Gravy
Shaker for Gravy
- 2 tsp Vegetable Bouillon, (my favorite is Better than Bouillon)
- 2 - 1/2 C Water Water
- 3 heaping TBS Flour
Instructions for Vegan Homemade Gravy
- So you want to know how to make perfect gravy every time? Here are the basic steps: Heat 2 cups of water over low heat until simmering.
- Add the bouillon to the hot water, stirring until dissolved.
- Mix flour and remaining water Put the flour and cold water into a shaker and shake vigorously until the mixture is mixed with no lumps. If you've never used a shaker before, I highly recommend them. They are so quick and easy to use. Just put the flour and water in the container, secure the lid, shake, shake, shake, and you're done! See the photos on the right of shakers to see what they look like if you've never used one. Alternately, you can put the flour and cold water in a bowl and use a whisk to mix it until there are no lumps. If you find you still have lumps, you can use a strainer.
- Add a little bit of the flour/water mixture to the hot broth, keeping the mixture over low heat. If you used a shaker, you can simply pour some of the mixture into the hot broth. If you used a bowl, you can carefully pour a little out at a time, or use a large spoon to spoon just a bit at a time. Stir the broth mixture. I like using a whisk. Continue stirring. When it looks like it's all mixed in, add a little more flour/water mixture to the broth. Continue stirring. Continue this process until the gravy is a little thinner than the consistency you want.
- Remove from heat.
Gravy being made
- Remember that hot gravy will thicken upon standing, so you don't want the hot gravy to be too thick.
- The trick is to be patient when adding the flour/water mixture. Do not add it all at once. Allow time to stir the gravy thoroughly, after each time you add some flour/water mix.
- Another item to note, is to be sure you cook the gravy slowly while adding the flour mixture. It is important that the flour is cooked. If the flour/water mixture is added too quickly and not heated long enough, the flour will remain raw and the gravy won't taste good.
- If you need to thicken the gravy, don't add flour directly to the hot gravy. Doing this will cause lumps. You need to mix flour with cold water, mix until no lumps then add this mixture to the hot gravy and cook until it thickens.
Gravy Serving Suggestions
If you want to present your gravy nicely, in an easy to serve dish, you may want to consider some of the following options.
Gravy boats are easy to serve from, so long as the gravy isn't too thick to pour. Gravy boats are configured with a handle and a spout, similar to a teapot but with an open top. This allows you to easily fill the gravy boat with gravy, and just as easily pour gravy onto your food or plate. And these days with internet access, you can find just about any style of gravy boat you can dream of! You can buy new, vintage, or even antique gravy boats.
And if you want something really unique, consider supporting local commerce by purchasing a handmade gravy boat. What could be better?
Some gravy boats come with a "gravy stand," which is the little matching plate that goes under the gravy boat. These are actually very practical because then you can set a gravy boat, dripping with gravy, onto the stand, and not get your table dirty.
Most gravy ladles look like a giant soup spoon. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, and you already have some nice bowls, you can simply put the gravy in a bowl, and put a gravy ladle in the bowl. This will allow people to ladle the gravy onto their food or plate.
To the right, you can see what a gravy ladle looks like. If you decide to serve straight out of the gravy pot, that works too! Just be sure that if your pot is non-stick, you use an appropriate ladle to assure you don't scratch your pot.
More Great Gravy Recipes from Fellow Hubbers
- Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy
This delicious vegetarian biscuits and gravy recipe only takes a few staple ingredients and is ready in 20 minutes!
- Dairy Substitutes for Vegan Diet and Casein Free Die...
New to a vegan diet or casein free diet? This is an overview of dairy substitute products for milk, cheese, butter and eggs. References and resources included.