How to Make Healthy & Tasty Potato Waffles Easily
Why Everyone Loves Waffels
I would like to tell why people like waffles.
In fact i cannot find a single reason why anyone would not like waffles. It is crispy, tasty, can eat at anytime of the day, can be eaten as savory or sweet and you can create a range of varieties with waffles. This is gluten free and good for your tummy. Both kids and adults like this and waffles has no age barrier. For anyone who is concern about the nutritious side it is healthy too. They are YUM!
Give it a try, I am sure you will keep on making it again and again to satisfy your taste buds and your loved ones.
What You Need to Make Potato Waffles
Potato waffles are even better than regular waffles due to the delicious taste and nutritional value. Make this once and I bet you will not make regular waffles again. Because it has happened in my home already.
Lets see what we need to make this recipe. You don't need fancy stuff, just ten simple things that any kitchen has would do.
- Potato 500g
- Chopped Small Onion 100g
- Chopped green chili
- Bacon (optional) 50g to your taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper powder ¼ tea spoon
- Garlic paste ½ tea spoon
- coconut milk or fresh milk 1/2 a cup
- Large egg (optional)
- Butter to fry and apply on the waffle iron
Method : Its so simple and quick
Even my 10 year old kid can follow this easily.
- Preparation time:30 minutes
- Cooking time : 5 minutes
- Yield : 3 to 4 people
- Boil 500 g of potatoes with a pinch of salt until tender. Don't boil the potatoes too much as it could make the mixture too soggy and watery.
- Remove the skin of the potatoes when it is cooled and mash the potatoes with a fork. It is ok to have small chunks of potatoes.
- Fry some chopped small onions, garlic paste, chopped green chili on medium heat with a tea spoon of butter.
- If you are not a vegetarian, you can add chopped bacon to make the waffles more tastier and crispier
- Add salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Mix this tempered mixture with mashed potato with 2 table spoons of milk. Don't overmix and just use a spatula.
- Add an egg and mix. (optional if you are a vegetarian)
- Preheat your waffle iron after applying oil on the surface for about 2 minutes.
- Use an ice cream scoop with the waffle mixture and put inside the waffle iron and close it.
- Cook it for 5 minutes till both sides become golden brown
Serve Hot in Many Different Ways
Serve hot with any of the following
- Herbs pasta sauce
- Sunny side up egg on top of the waffle
- Drizzled mayo with chopped Cilantro
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top
- Grilled seer on top of the waffle
- Saute prawns with Avacado
- Grilled sausages on top
Tips and Facts
1. If you don't have a waffle iron and if you don't want to buy a waffle iron, still you can make potato waffle using your toaster. If you don't have a toaster, use a heavy bottom pan and fry both sides. Unfortunately then you can't call it waffles,but no harm to the taste.
2. Potato waffles are common in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Regular waffles said to be originally from Belgium.
3. Home made waffles are much better than frozen waffles.
4. August 24th is the National Waffle Day.
5. The word “waffle” first appears in the English language in 1725. Yes, it has a long history.
Be the Wonder Woman; Try and Improvise
You really can make lot of variations with this waffle recipe and it’s a tasty and healthy dish. Once I served tempered prawns and avocado on top of the potato waffle and it was beyond my words to explain how nice it looks and how tasty it was.
If you have small children you can add broccoli, spinach or chopped greens into the potato mixture and they will eat the greens in the waffle with no complains.
Be that super woman and bring out your creative ideas to improvise your own dish and comment and share with others.