- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
How to Make Hot & Sour Soup
An Overview of Making Hot & Sour Soup
The main kick in hot & sour soup comes from garlic, pepper, and lemon. You start making this soup about 15-20 minutes before you want to serve. This is a quick and hazzle-free recipe.
The ingredients for this soup are cabbage, carrot, spring onion,celery, capsicum, green chili, sugar, soy sauce, garlic, corn flour, lemon juice, pepper powder, oil, and salt.
To start with, Keep aside a mixture of water and corn flour. Heat olive oil or any other oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Saute whole green chilies till it changes color. Remove and discard them. This step is just to give hot aroma to the soup. Throw chopped garlic and sugar into the pan. Saute till garlic becomes golden brown. Add chopped vegetables one by one, except spring onion greens. Saute for 2 minutes on medium fire. Add pepper powder and salt. Now add 3 1/2 cups of water and boil the mix for 4 minutes. Pour the corn flour mix. Continue boiling for two more minutes or till you get the proper consistency. Add soy sauce. Mix well. Turn off the fire. Squeeze fresh lemon into it. Stir once. Hot & sour soup is ready! Pour it equally into 4 bowls. Garnish with a few chopped spring onion greens. Enjoy drinking this refreshing soup!
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: Four bowls of soup
Ingredients for Making Hot & Sour Soup
- 5 tbsp cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp celery, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp green capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onion whites, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onion greens, finely chopped
- 2 whole green chilies
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp olive oil or any other oil
- 1/2 tsp or more pepper powder, as per taste
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Hot & Sour Soup
- Mix corn flour in 1/2 cup water. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Throw whole green chilies into it. Stir-fry for a few seconds or till it changes color. Remove them and discard. This step is to impart hot aroma to the soup.
- Add chopped garlic and sugar. Saute on low fire till garlic gets golden brown.
- Add vegetables one by one except spring onion greens. Saute on medium high fire for two minutes. Add pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
- Pour 3 1/2 cups of water. Instead, you can add vegetable stock if you have. Let the mix boil for 4 minutes.
- Now add corn flour mix. Continue boiling for two more minutes or till you get the right consistency.
- Add soy sauce. Mix well. Turn off the fire.
- Squeeze lemon juice. Stir it once.
- Hot & Sour soup is ready! Pour it equally into 4 bowls. Garnish with chopped spring onion greens. Enjoy sipping this yummy and refreshing soup!
Nutritional Information of Hot & Sour Soup
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 14 g||5%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 8 mg||3%|
|Sodium 180 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|