- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
How to Make Vegan/Organic Spinach Pesto with a Gucamola Dips to be served with Melba Toast.
Great Way of Entertaining or Just for Fun
Need some dips for a party or just for a starter before lunch, want to try something different and healthy?
Make a Spinach dip, don't let them know what it is until they have tried it. Rich in iron and niacin, essential acids and trace elements needed for healthy teeth and bones.
Serve a Guacamole on the side with this and you have added essential oils and Omega & to their diet.
Serve with Melba toast or any oven baked chips.
By the way with the garlic and chili in the dips, it will also help prevent colds and flu.
Two Super Snack/Dips for Cocktail Parties
- 1 bunch of fresh Spinach
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove of Garlic
- 50 - 75ml of Canola or Olive oil
- A small knob of fresh ginger
Wash the spinach, remove the stem from the leaves and roughly chop the spinach.
- Place the spinach into a blender or liquidiser.
- Squeeze the juice out of the lemon and add this to the blender.
- Blend the lemon juice and spinach for a few minutes.
- Then add about 50ml of oil to the mixture in the blender.
The mixture should be smooth without being too runny. Adjust the texture by adding either more spinach to thicken it, or more oil to thin it down.
- Clean the husk of the clove/s of garlic and add this to the blender.
- Peal a small knob of fresh ginger and add this to the blender.
- Switch on the blender and blend until smooth.
- Remove from the blender and transfer it a clean dish.
- Cover and let it stand to rest in the refrigerator for about 4 hours before use.
Again the mixture should be smooth without being too runny. Adjust the texture by adding either more spinach to thicken it, or more oil to thin it down.
- 1 or 2 ripe Avocado Pears
- Juice of a lemon
- 1 small onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 or 2 fresh chillies (optional)
- 5ml of paprika or cayenne pepper
- 25ml of Olive or Canola Oil
- Remove the skin and pip from the Avocado pears, cut it into small pieces and place it in a deepish bowl.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Add the lemon juice
- Add the desired amount Olive oil.
- Continue to whisk till soft and creamy
- Dice the onions, chillies (optional) and garlic, into very fine cubes.
- Skin and dice the tomato into very small cubes.
- Add the onion and tomato to the avocado pear and mix it in well so that it is evenly distributed.
- Let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish or dishes, sprinkle the desired amount of paprika or cayenne pepper over the top of each of the dishes, cover and keep in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Why use the whisk you may well ask?
Because with a food processor, the heat of the spinning blades will slightly cook the Avocado and make it turn black before you have a chance to use it.