How to Make Pistachio Scones with Sweet Rose Frosting
Heart shaped Pistachio Scones
Please vote for the Pistachio scone:
Fun facts about the pistachio:
Archeologists have discovered the existence of pistachio nuts since as early as 6750 B.C.
Pistachios are the seeds from the Pistacia vera plant which, along with the cashew, belong in the Anacardiaceae family.
The pistachio tree takes anywhere between seven and ten years to mature. Once it begins producing, it can bear around 50,000 nuts every two years.
Pistachios are a great source of fiber, protein, vitamin B6, copper, manganese, thiamne and phosphorous.
Iran leads the world in producing the most pistachios each year: about 200,000.
Pistachios are nicknamed, 'The smiling nut' in Iran.
National Pistachio Day is celebrated in the United States on February 26th.
Here is a recipe for you to make to help you celebrate this food holiday courtesy of Victoria Classics Magazine.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter, diced
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, ground and toasted
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (2 inch) heart shaped cookie cutter
- 1 recipe Sweet Rose Frosting, recipe follows
- sprinkling of sparkling sugar, red & white for decoration
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, for frosting
- 1 Tablespoon seedless strawberry jam, for frosting
- 1 teaspoon water, for frosting
- 1/2 teaspoon rose water, for frosting
How to make pistachio sconesClick thumbnail to view full-size
Read this pistachio recipe by lemonkerdz
- Orange Pistachio Butter Biscuits
Beautiful aromatic orange pistachio butter biscuits. Light and refreshing & a perfect accompanyment to a relaxing coffee or cup of English tea. Easy to make but yet look & taste expensive.
How to make Pistachio Scones with Sweet Rose Water Frosting
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Fold in pistachios. Add cream and vanilla extract to flour mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms.
- Remove from bowl, and knead for 3-4 turns on a lightly floured surface; roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Using a 2-inch hear-shaped cookie cutter, cut scones. Bake for 8 minutes, or until light golden brown. While scones are baking, prepare Sweet Rose Frosting.
- Allow scones to cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove to a wire rack to cool slightly. Place Sweet Rose Frosting in a pastry bag fitted with a small tip; drizzle over scones. Garnish with red and white sparkling sugar, if desired. Serve immediately.
- Sweet Rose Frosting-makes about 1/2 cup. In a small bowl, combine confectioner's sugar, jam, water, and rose water; whisk until smooth.