- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
How to Make Soldier Cookies The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
I’m Thinking of You Chocolate Chip Cookies / Bars
(a recipe from My Warrior Princess)
Greetings folks! As always I hope this finds you and your deployed soldier, sailor, airman, marine, civilian, or contractor in good health and cheer. When I was deployed, there was no better day on the battlefield than the ones I had when I got a package from Zena, my warrior princess. She knew what I liked best and regularly put together a care package and sent it off. Always inside would be a packet of one of my favorite treats, be it her home made Brownies, Cookies, or Fudge. When I was really lucky all three.
My personal favorite was her chocolate chip cookies. So I thought I would share this recipe with you but with a twist. I’m sure she would have used this product had they been around some years ago. That is the new MyMM’s. This new product really gives you a way to send some love to your warrior. I’ve ordered some my self and they are not cost prohibitive. Always remember we can taste the love that goes into home made treats. It adds a special spice that heightens the sweetness, tartness, crunchiness, and goodness of what ever treat you send.
You can do this with the premixed cookie dough available at the store,. I personally experimented recently with Kroger Brand Break N Bake brand and the pictures are included here. Just Start at Step 4 of the recipe using the backing directions on the package. Also if you are going to make the bars give them 16-18 mins and at about half way open the oven and add some more for topping so the message survives the baking.
1 Cup Butter
¾ Cup Granulated Sugar
¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 ¼ Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
½ Tsp Salt
1 Pkg (12oz) Semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Pkg (7oz) MyMM’s with your special message
1 Cup Walnuts or Pecans, (Chopped) Variation add shredded Coconut or half nuts half coconut
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; mix well set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs; beat well. Gradually add flour mixture to the creamed mixture while stirring; beat well. Stir in the chips, half the MyMM’s and nuts until blended.
- Drop By teaspoonfuls onto un-greased cookie sheet about 3 in apart for cookies – OR for Bars in a medium corning style bake pan or rectangular cake pan Drop them ¼ to ½ inch apart they will expand together and give you a cut line at the same time.
- Place some of the other half of the MyMM’s on top of the cookie/bar, make sure you have a couple yourself and if you’ve got munchkins helping you give them some too. Remind them it’s like sharing them with their soldier.
- For Cookies bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 8-10 mins or until lightly browned. Allow to cool 3-5 mins before removing from the cookie sheet.
- For Bars bake at 350 for 14-18 mins until lightly brown and toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool 5 mins or so then cut into squares. Let them cool another 10-15 mins and then serve or prepare for packaging (make sure they are at room temp before you wrap them up or seal them in a Tupperware.)
This is another one of those great projects for Mom and Kids to do together. Or FRG’s to do as a group, say for instance, when it’s time to welcome your unit home. Make up enough of them so each of the single soldiers get a box. I won’t be so pretentious to recommend what you say, you know you’re troops, you’ll know the right message. Have a good time doing it and create another positive memory out of a tough situation. God Bless to all of those who serve and their families that serves beside them. ‘till next time. We Be Jammin’!!