How to Make Soy Milk at Home
Homemade Soy Milk
Soy milk is a lactose-free and vegan, healthy alternative to dairy milk and a boon for those who are lactose intolerant. Soya milk is pretty simple to make, is cheaper than dairy milk and definitely healthier as it does not need any preservatives or other additives if prepared at home.
Soy milk needs cooking to neutralize the antinutritional factors present in it. Heating also improves the palatability of the milk.
Soy milk can be made from either soybeans or full-fat soy flour. In this recipe, we are preparing it from raw, whole yellow soybeans. You can learn more about the many health benefits of soybeans in my article.
- 1 cup raw, whole soybeans
- sufficient water, for soaking the soybeans
- 5 cups for blending the soaked soybeans
- Soak soybeans in sufficient water overnight. Remember soybeans swell to almost 3 times its original size after soaking hence soak them in sufficient water
- In the morning remove the water, wash the soybeans in fresh water and put fresh water in the container
- Rub the soybeans between your palms to remove the loose skins. Skim off these skins. Rinse the soybeans again in fresh water
- Add the soybeans to a blender and add water. Blend till smooth
- Strain out the soymilk through a cheesecloth-lined strainer/colander
- Heat the soymilk now on medium heat. Once it starts simmering reduce gas to low or thereabouts to maintain the simmer. Keep removing the milk film as and when it forms, which is every few minutes
- Simmer the soymilk for 20-30 minutes. Keep stirring in between.
- Strain out the milk again through a cheese cloth lined strainer to catch any loose milk film particles. Now let it cool completely
- Refrigerate and allow to chill. Drink it cold or hot and add sugar if you like
- You can also prepare tofu from it. The process is very simple
- Soymilk will stay good for about 3 days in the fridge
How to Make Soy Milk at Home - Soya Milk Recipe Indian
© 2018 Rajan Singh Jolly