How to Make a Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
I have been wanting to try and make this kind of pizza for a while now. I just kept forgetting to buy the hot dog chili sauce at the store. Last week, I finally remembered to buy it and happened to have a Chef Boy R Dee pizza kit in the cupboard. I am amazed and delighted at the results of this concoction. My husband's parents used to own a Dog 'N Suds when he was a kid and they served chili cheese dogs all the time. Needless to say, that is one of his favorite meals. He was ecstatic that I had this pizza made when he got home the other night. My kids loved it, too, hot dogs are one of their favorite food items after all.
This is an extremely easy pizza to put together. The most time consuming aspect of it is making the pizza crust. You can use any number of pre-made crusts if you like to make it even easier on you. You could also use homemade chili, but I would not suggest chili with beans. That is the only way I make chili, so I prefer using the store bought hot dog chili sauce, plus I love the store bought flavor with hot dogs. Either way, this will turn out delicious!
- 1 pizza crust, prepared
- 1 can hot dog chili sauce, no beans, like Hormel
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 or 4 hot dogs, sliced
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Prepare a pizza crust. You can buy one already made or make your own. For this pizza, I used the crust mix from a Chef Boy R Dee pizza kit. I let the dough rise about a half hour (instead of my normal 15 minutes), placed aluminum foil on the cookie sheet and lightly sprayed non-stick spray on it, then spread the dough out on the foil. Preheat the oven to 425° almost at the end of letting the dough rise, if you make your own. Cook the crust for about 5 minutes, so it gets lightly browned.
- Pull the crust out of the oven. Use hot dog chili sauce instead of pizza sauce and cover the crust with it. Dice the onion, I used a sweet yellow one, and place it over the sauce. I only put onions on half of my pizza because my kids do not like onions. Slice up your hot dogs and distribute them evenly over the pizza.
- Shred the cheeses or used pre-shredded mozzarella and cheddar (I used sharp). Place 4 ounces of each type of cheese over the pizza crust. Cook pizza in the oven 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is a golden brown.
- I used ketchup, mustard, and sweet relish as condiments for the pizza. I put a little of each on my slice. I also tried using sliced jalapenos and salsa on another slice. It too was fantastic. Be creative with your toppings. Think about all the different variations of hot dogs out there and go crazy, be unique and make it your own. I hope you enjoy my chili cheese dog pizza recipe!