How to Make a Cold Roast Meat Hash
This is a warm dish, despite the title, and it uses up the leftovers from the Sunday roast, whether that be lamb, beef, pork or chicken.
The exact quantities are not important, as obviously there will be diiffering amounts of meats left over each time, and as the ingredients are placed in layers in the casserole dish, each time you make it, you will have different quantities.
However, this does not matter in the slightest, so long as there is enough to go round everyone you are feeding.
This is a favorite recipe in our family, and is deceptively simple to prepare, and absolutely delicious.
Try it, and cold roast meat hash is sure to become a firm favorite in your family too!
- 1lb cold roast meat, beef, pork, lamb, chicken
- 1 pint white sauce
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 3lbs potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- Chop meat, then put in a blender to grind it up
- Prepare a plain white sauce
- Fry the onions until they turn a golden brown in color
- Boil and mash potatoes, then set aside
- Mix ground meat into the white sauce and stir well. Add mustard, Worcester sauce and seasonings to taste
- Place in a casserole dish
- Add the fried onions
- Add the can of baked beans in tomato sauce
- Spoon the mashed potatoes over the top and smooth it down
- Place grated cheese on top
- Place casserole in oven for half an hour, gas mark 5/190C/375F, or until the cheese on the top is lightly browned
How to Make a white sauce
You can just as easily buy a packet mix of ready-prepared white sauce, and make it up according to instructions, but I prefer to make my own.
- 3 level tablespoons/1oz flour (or cornflour)
- 1 pint of milk
- 2 oz butter
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter over a low heat.
- Remove from heat and mix in flour.
- Return to heat and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat again, and add in cold milk slowly, beating well between each addition, until all the milk is added and you have a smooth paste
- Return to heat, and bring to boil stirring all the time.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Variations to cold meat hash
Cold roast meat hash is not difficult to make at all, and all the different flavors in it blend together so well, you will wonder why you didn't think of it before.
An interesting addition is to add some sliced tomatoes to one of the layers underneath the potatoes, if you have some in the house to use up.
Again the taste of tomatoes adds a little something else to the dish. In fact, that is half the fun of making hash, as, as the title suggests, it is simply a hash of ingredients, all placed together to create a tasty meal for all the family.
You may have a favorite spice blend which can be added, over and above the ingredients listed here, or even instead of.
I have found that soy sauce makes an interesting addition, when added to the meat in the sauce part.