- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
How to Make a Delicious Moist Vanilla Sponge Cake
This recipe is an adaptation of a vanilla sponge recipe that has been in my family for many years. I have tweaked the quantities so that the cake is a little more moist and lasts longer before drying out.
- 170g softened butter
- 3 large eggs
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
Making The Vanilla Sponge
- Pre grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the bottom of the tin with grease-proof paper. Set your oven to 180°C
- Put 170g softened butter, 170g caster sugar, 3 large eggs, 170g self-raising flour sifted, 1tsp baking powder, 1tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl and beat with a spoon until it is a smooth batter. Take care not to beat too much air into the mix.
- Pour or spoon the batter mixture into your tin, gently smooth over the top with a fork and bake it on the middle shelf of of your pre heated 180°C oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until it has fully risen with a nice golden top. You can insert a fork into the centre of the cake and the fork should come out clean if it is ready.
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it sit for 10 minutes then gently transfer it from the tin to your wire cake rack to let it cool.