- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
How to Make a Perfect Chinese Plain Fried Rice and Stir-Fried Rice with Peppers
No matter what Chinese dishes you are preparing for your family, they are traditionally accompanied by a plate of rice as a side dish.
While plain boiled rice is fine, it is nice to add that authentic Chinese taste that you get when you visit a Chinese restaurant.
Here are two recipes for Chinese fried rice, both of which are very easy to make and if you shut your eyes while tasting them, you could imagine you are in a Chinese restaurant and not in your kitchen at home.
One is just a plain fried rice, and the other is a stir-fried rice with peppers to give it added flavors and taste.
Plain Stir-Fried Rice Recipe
You will need:
- 450g/1lb of Patna or long grain rice
- ¼ tsp monosodium glutamate
- 30mls/2 tbsp oil
How to Cook the Rice
- Wash the rice well in 4 - 5 changes of cold water, to rinse off the starch. Drain and place in large pan or wok. Add enough fresh cold water to cover the rice plus 1". Bring to boil.
- Stir ONCE, then reduce heat till it simmers. Cover and cook for 5 - 7 minutes until the water has been absorbed and the rice separates easily, but is still sticky enough to be handled by chopsticks.
- Spread the rice out on a tray to cool. Sprinkle on the monosodium glutamate.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan and add the rice. Stir fry for 1 - 2 minute at high heat.
- Add salt to taste and fry for a further 1 - 2 minutes.
All in, this recipe takes around 20 minutes from start to finish, except for the cooling time.
Stir-Fried Rice with Peppers recipe
- 175g/6oz long grain rice
- 15ml/1tbsp peanut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeds and chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 15ml/1 tbsp soy sauce
- salt and pepper
- 5ml/1 tsp sesame oil
How to prepare the rice with peppers
- Cook the rice in boiling water (follow instructions on the packet), drain and set aside.
- Place the oil in the wok or frying pan, heat it up and stir-fry the onion at a high heat, until lightly browned. Add the peppers after the onion has been cooking for about a minute or so, as they take less time to cook.
- Add the rice to the wok, stir in the soy sauce and continue cooking until you have heated the rice through completely.
- Season with salt, pepper and sesame oil.
If you slightly undercook the rice in step 1, you will find it is less likely to become sticky at step 3.
This amount will serve 4 people and all in, can be prepared, cooked and on the table in around half an hour.
If you like sesame oil, which has a strong flavor, then you can substitute the peanut oil when frying.
I hope you have tried this recipe and indeed found you have made the perfect Chinese plain fried Rice and stir-fried rice with peppers.
Please let me know by commenting below.
More recipes to complete your Chinese Meal
- Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork Recipe
If you have ever eaten sweet and sour pork at a Chinese restaurant, then this Cantonese recipe is identical. It is very easy to prepare and can be on your plate ready to serve in just half an hour.
- Chinese Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe to Accompany a Main Meal
Here is a wonderful Chinese vegetable stir-fry recipe for you to try at home, to make a great side dish to accompany a healthy Chinese-style main course.