- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
How to Make an Easy Caramel Sauce
Homemade caramel sauce beats store bought versions hands down – and since it’s made only from a few staple ingredients, making this long lasting sauce is very inexpensive.
Although you may have heard that working with sugar and caramels is difficult, this recipe certainly isn’t – from famous chef Thomas Keller of the French Laundry, this caramel requires very little attention from you and quite frankly, is pretty hard to mess up!
Adapted from a Thomas Keller Recipe from Ad Hoc at Home
Easy Homemade Caramel Sauce
- 3/8 of a cup plus 1 Tbls of plain white granulated sugar
- 1/8 of a cup plus 1 Tbls of light corn syrup
- 1/8 of a cup of water
- ¾ cup of warmed whipping cream (heavy cream)
- 1 Tbls of softened butter
- Combine the corn syrup, the sugar and the water in a small heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- Bring this mixture to a simmer over medium heat, and then adjust the heat so it will simmer unattended on its own, without you needing to stir or otherwise bother it!
- Let it simmer away for half an hour
- Take it off the heat and slowly whisk in the cream. You have to be a little attentive here (and make sure no kids are around) as the hot caramel can bubble and sputter a bit, but don’t be too worried, it’s not that dramatic! Once the cream is in, whisk in the butter.
- If it hardens up as you are adding the cream, just return it to the heat and give it a quick stir, stirring until the caramel again melts.
That’s it – you’ve got yourself a great tasting caramel sauce that will keep for a month in the fridge and which tastes fantastic served warmed and then simply over good vanilla ice cream – or in any other way you can imagine it!
Caramel Sauce Video Demo
Ice Cream Recipes for Caramel Sauce
- Easy Thai Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Thai...
Easy to make Thai style coconut milk ice cream. Just 3 ingedients - sugar, water and coconut milk!
- How to Make Deep Fried Ice Cream. A Very Easy to Mak...
Easy to follow instructions to make deep fried ice cream - all you need are ice-cream, cornflakes, 1 egg, oil and sugar!
- Really Easy Philadelphia Style Ice Cream. Homemade N...
A seriously easy recipe for no-egg Philadelphia style ice cream.