Simple and Yummy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie is the quintessential comfort food. This recipe stretches 2 cups of leftover chicken to feed a family of 4 -- it will feed the soul without hurting your wallet.
While the recipe calls for the scraps of meat left on a roast chicken carcass, you can use any leftover chicken. If you don't have leftovers, one medium chicken breast will produce the 2 cups of meat needed for the pot pie.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Leftover roast chicken carcass, with about 2 cups of meat on the bones
- Leftover gravy or chicken broth to make 2 cups of liquid
- 2 tablespoons flour, if you have less than 2 cups of gravy
- 1 medium onion
- 1 10 ounce box of frozen mixed vegetables, or 1 1/2-2 cups of frozen peas, carrots, and corn
- Pie crust for a double crust pie
- 2 cardamom pods, 1 clove of garlic, pinch of rosemary, and pepper to taste
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Prepare the pie crust.
- Place the bottom crust in a 9 inch pie plate and set the top crust aside. If your kitchen is warm, put the pie plate in the refrigerator after inserting the crust, and set the top crust lightly inside.
- Chop the onion finely.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter on medium low heat.
- Add the onion to the melted butter, and saute. Stir it occasionally while preparing the chicken, sauce, and vegetables.
- Pull the chicken off the carcass and chop the meat into bite sized pieces. If you have less than 2 cups of meat, make up the difference by adding more vegetables, if desired
- Measure the leftover gravy, adding water or broth to make 2 cups of liquid.
- Contine sauteing the onions until soft, and beginning to brown around the edges. If you have 2 cups of gravy, add it directly to the onions. If you needed to add liquid to the gravy, it may be thin. To thicken it, add 2 tablespoons of flour to the pan, and sauté for a minute or so. Add the liquid and gravy mixture and cook over medium heat until it starts to thicken.
- Add the cardamom, rosemary, garlic, and pepper to the sauce. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables to the sauce, and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until thawed.
- Add the chicken to the mixture.
- Assemble the pot pie. Place the filling in the bottom crust. Lay the top crust over the pie, and pat in place. Crimp the edges to seal the crust.
- Brush top crust with cream or beaten egg yolk, if desired. Slice steam vents in the crust.
- Bake for about 60 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit .