How to Cook Blackened Fish
For those of us who love blackened fish from restaurants and wish that we could have it at home but don't know how to make it, I am making this Hub. To be able to do this you will need a few things.
- Fish (most any fish will do for the most part)
- Cast Iron Skillet
Two options in this situation, buy it, or make it. If you opt to buy it, I would get Chef Paul's Blackened Redfish Magic. If you choose to make it, I'd use this recipe:
Spicy Lemon Pepper Rub
- 1/4 cup lemon pepper
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tbs coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp black pepper
Combine all these ingredients in a bowl and you have your rub.
- Heat your cast iron skillet on medium-high heat
- Season one fillet of fish with the rub
- Before putting the fish on the skillet, place about a 1/4 tbps of butter in the skillet
- Then put the fish, seasoning side down, in the butter
- Then season the other side of the fish that is now facing up
- Let it cook for at least 5 minutes then carefully lifting it up and looking at the fish until it has a slight crisp to it.
- Carefully flip the fish and allow to cook until it is blackened on the other side as well
- Remove from the skillet and enjoy!
I hope this helps in assisting you to making and enjoying your own blackened fish. And a fish that is excellent to blacken is Speckled Sea Trout, and they are also quite easy to catch if you follow the Speckled Trout Fishing Tactics.