How to cook rice with Lentils a Vegan Recipe
We all love rice, and we love it even better with lentils, this a good recipe for vegetarians, now there are people use chicken broth and there others that don't, from my understanding if you are a vegan then you don't use any products that contains any meat products. i know that chicken broth gives flavor, so i will show also tell you how to use chicken broth in separate paragraph.
- 2 cups Rice
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 table spoon cooking oil
1 Cup of Lentils
2 Cups of Rice
One table spoon of salt
One tablespoon of cooking oil
2 Cups of Boiled Water to Cook Rice
Now before we start, you need to know that you have to use the same cup measurement for everything, for water, lentils and rice, don't use different cups to measure the ingredient. it doesn't matter what kind cup you are using, you may want to use your mug, or your water cup, as long as you use the same cup to measure all the ingredient , you will be fine.
- Place 2 cups of Rice in a bowl, and pour boiling water on it , until to cover the rice, move the rice with a fork so it wont clutter, and leave it to set for 20 minutes ( am using Jasmine rice and that's the way to cook it).
- Place one cup of lentils in a cooking pan, pour water on it until it covers it, place it on the stove , and cook it until its ready, how do you know its ready, you have to taste it, if its not hard any more and you can chew it, then its ready.
- after 20 minutes, drain the water from the rice real good, place a cooking pan on the stove on a medium , put the cooking oil , let it heat a bit, put the rice in the pan, start mixing it with the oil for 1 minute, put salt and mix it again for another minute, pour 2 cups of boiled water on the rice and mix it with the rice, cover the pan and leave it to boil, monitor the rice, when you see that the water dried from the top side of the rice, open the cover and mix the rice all together with a fork, cover the pan again and lower the heat to lowest, and leave it to finish cooking 5-8 minutes, how do you know it's ready, you have to taste it.
- In the mean while am sure the lentils are ready, drain it from water and place it on the side.
- When rice is ready, just take it of the stove, open the cover, place the lentils on the rice, mix it with a fork together, make sure not to squish it , just use a fork and slowly mix it together.
- Present it with any salad you like as a side dish, some people like sauteed onion with it, just put it on the top of the rice and lentils. enjoy your food.
Boiled water on rice
Lentils in cooking pan
Other way making Rice with Lentils
Some people like to use the water that they used to cook the lentils with, too kook the rice with, if you didn't have enough water, just add boiled water to it, to make 2 cups, so that you can cook the rice.
For the people who can eat chicken broth, just melt one cube of it in the boiled water for the flavor.
Lentils Nutritional value
Lentils contain the highest amount of protein originating from any plant. The amount of protein found in lentils is up to 35%, which is comparable to red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products. Lentils contain carbohydrates (15-25 grams per 100 grams). They are a good source of dietary fiber and also have a low amount of calories. Other nutritious components found are molybdenum, folate, tryptophan, manganese, iron, phosphorous, copper, vitamin B1, and potassium.
© 2016 love2travel2000