- Food and Cooking
How to cook Anchovies Gravy ?
Vote for Anchovies Gravy
Anchovies are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and it has proved to reduce heart disease. Twenty grams of Anchovies do have your daily intake portion of magnesium, phosphorus and calcium.This recipe will make you mouth watering and at the same time stomach filling too. It's very easy and it’s a typical South Indian recipe.Serve it with hot rice or puttu (it’s a steamed rice layer with fresh coconut ) to enjoy its full flavor. The dish does not consume more time to prepare and taste of the fish will be more zesty as we are adding tamarind to it.
How to cook Anchovies Gravy?
- Oil, you can use any cooking oil you like
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- More than 2 Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 Tomato
- 1tsp Turmeric Power
- Anchovies, Well Cleaned
- 1tsp Tamarind water
- 1½ tsp Chilli powder, add a tsp extra if you want it to be more spicy
- 1tsp Coriander powder
- 3 or 6 Garlic cloves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Fresh coconut, Finely chopped
- 1 cup into two halfs Green chilli, depending on your heat quotient
- coriander springs or Curry leaves, For Garnishing
- In a large pan add oil, Fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds.
- Now add chopped onions and garlic and sauté well until golden brown.
- Add turmeric power, chilli powder and coriander powder to it.
- Now add a cup of fresh coconut mixture and a cup of water and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to boil and add some more water.
- Add 2 tsp of tamarind water, salt and green chilly. Give it a stir
- Now add the tomatoes and let the broth boil, you can blend the tomatoes if want. It even tastes better. But remember not to blend it to a fine paste.
- Allow it for 3 to 4 minutes to boil and add the Anchoives.
- You can use fresh coriander springs or Curry leaves, you can also use a slice of lemon and a few shavings of carrot at the top for garnishing.
- Don’t cook the Anchoives for a long time as, it may break your fish into pieces.
- You can add any one curd or Tamarind for that sourness
- Clean your fish well
- You can add ginger, onion and Garlic paste instead of finely chopped garlic and onions.
- Bled 5 cashews and 4 dry grapes in a blender with a few drops of water for extra taste.
- Add large chunks of fried potatoes while garnishing for extra crunchiness
- You can deep fry Anchovies before immersing them into the gravy
- Can add butter instead of oil
- I tsp of sugar will give your sweet tooth a satisfactory
The same method can be followed for other fishes like Tuna, Trout, herring, cod, plaice, salmon and Pollack and mackerel.You can get this dish in almost all famous restaurants in South India and other Indian Restaurants.