How to make Broccoli and Stilton Cheese Soup
Warm and Filling
Broccoli and Stilton Soup is a warm and filling soup, when served with hot bread it becomes a nutritious lunch in the winter or simply to warm the children when they come in from school or college.
- 2 large Broccoli, Fresh
- 2 Vegetable stock cubes
- 2oz - 4oz Strong stilton cheese, add to taste
- salt and pepper, add to taste
- Prepare the Broccoli by cutting off any external leaves and by giving it a good wash in cold water. The stalks can be kept in it does not matter how thick they are as this recipe uses the whole head.
- Chop the broccoli into florets and then chop the stem into 2 inch thick chunks- it only needs rough chopping.
- Prepare 2 pints of vegetable stock according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Using a large heavy bottomed sacuepan which has a tight fitting lid- pour the stock into the saucepan.
- Add the Broccoli and simmer for about twenty minutes or until tender.
- Once the Broccoli is cooked put it through a blender . I usually do this in two goes,rather than fill the blender right to the top. If you do not have a blender you can "mash" the broccoli through a sieve, but it is quite hard work.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and stir to make sure that it an ebven thickness.
- Chop the stilton up into small peices and add to the soup.
- Once the Stiton cheese has melted thoroughly; stir the soup and serve with hot fresh bread and butter.