How to Make an Easy Greek Spinach and Fetta Pie (Spanakopita) Recipe
Traditional Family Favourite
This traditional Greek family recipe has been favourite in our household for many years.
Beautiful, crisp pastry with the delicious and fresh spinach and fetta filling make a great family meal or share platter for friends and family.
Lunch , Dinner or Gathering ideas
What is Spanakopita?
Spanakopita is a Greek spinach and fetta pie.
Satisfying and delicious, this pie is truly a meal in itself or a dish that you can share with family and friends around the table.
A slice of spanokopita reminds me of the true tastes of Greece.
Food for all Occasions
This style of pie reminds me of the days when my family gathered around the table, listening to the stories of each generation. Usually there was plenty of conversation, food and laughter, until the next event.
- 1 bunch silverbeet, chopped
- 9 spring onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pkt/ 250g fetta cheese, chopped
- 250g cottage cheese
- 5 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 sheets filo pastry, (Can substitute 1.5 sheets shortcrust or puff pastry on top and bottom
- 75g butter, melted
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil (for frying)
- salt and pepper to taste
Ready to Start
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius (fan-forced). Grease a 32cm x 24cm pie dish or deep tray.
- Wash the silverbeet and remove the stems. Finely chop and add the silverbeet to a frypan with 2 tablespoons of water and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the silverbeet and drain in a colander and press any water out.
- Heat the oil in a frypan and cook the onion until soft. Add spring onions and cook until soft. Remove the onions and add to the silverbeet in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cheeses, herbs, nutmeg, eggs, salt and pepper to the silverbeet and onions and mix completely.
- Brush each sheet of filo with melted butter. Place six sheets of filo on the bottom of the pie dish. (If using shortcrust or puff pastry, place approx one and half sheets on bottom.)Add the spinach filling. Top the pie with six sheets of filo ( or one and half sheets of shortcrust or puff pastry.) Brush the top sheet with melted butter. Trim any excess pastry to fit the dish. Lightly prick pastry with a fork so steam can escape.
- Cook in the oven at 180 degrees Celcius for approximately 45- 50 minutes or until cooked. Enjoy!
Ready for the oven
- Add more fetta in place of cottage cheese.
- Add a handful of uncooked rice to the spinach mixture.
- Can use olive oil to brush the pastry before cooking.
Spinach pie (with shortcrust pastry)
What style of pie do you prefer?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Sunnylisa