- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
How To Make Your Own Scotch Bonnet Hot Sauce
So the holidays or a special occasion is quickly approaching and you're not much of a cook but you want to bring something to the table to impress the family and friends. Why not go for making a condiment? Homemade hot sauce or pepper sauce as I like to call it, is a great way to go. It is easy to make and it is a great idea for it to be homemade because let's face it sometimes those store bought hot sauces are too hot with no taste too them or sometimes they are just too mild with no taste to them again! When you make your own you can taste test and adjust to suit the level of hotness, the flavor (sometimes people like a sauce where the taste of the garlic is prevalent, some like it with the lime taste prevalent etc.
Without further ado here is my hot sauce recipe. Please be advised that this is a loose recipe meaning that you are free to add your own signature to the mix and make it as hot or as mild as you wish.
- 1 large or 2 medium yellow onions
- 1/2 cup chive
- 10 or more culantro leaves/ chadon beni leaves
- 1 cup white vinegar or lime juice
- 1 head garlic
- 3 - 4 hot peppers (scotch bonnet, habanero, jalapeno etc.), choose the pepper according to the flavor you prefer
- salt, to taste
- 1 heaping tablespoon mustard or tomato paste, adds flavor as well as a rich color
- 1 pinch sugar
- 5 pimento peppers, optional - it adds a unique flavor
After peeling the onions, and roughly chopping the rest of your solid ingredients, simply put them all, including the liquid (vinegar or lime juice ) into your blender or food processor and press liquefy. Taste to see what you think. Sometimes you may find that it needs more salt or that the pepper is either too hot or too mild. In order to increase the heat, add another pepper. If you would like to tone down the heat, you will need to perhaps double the recipe without adding more peppers. If you think it needs more flavor then adding more culantro, garlic, and chive should do the trick.
This will make you a medium sized bottle of hot sauce. If you want to make more according to your success ( you make it and you taste it, then decide - Whoa I am a genius - this will be everyone's gift this Christmas ) just double it, triple it etc.
- Peppers can be fickle things when it comes to how hot they are. You may find that even two of the same type of peppers vary in heat. Many things depend on how hot a pepper will be. Just be prepared and know that sometimes you may get a pepper that has the reputation of being very mild that turns out to be a scorcher. The way to get by this is making sure you have more peppers than you need just in case the hot sauce needs more heat.
- The key to folks wanting to try what you make is presentation. You do not have to go out and buy bottles to bottle this in, you could just use that jam jar you have been saving for whatever reason.
- Take the label off using boiling water and pour the hot sauce in there.
- Decorate the cover of the jar using checkered cloth or some other pattern. It is your choice.