- Food and Cooking
How to make Lemon "Character" Bread | The Cupboard Drawer Recipe Book
This sweetbread recipe has besides the great taste of sweetened lemon, but has the capability to build and test one of your fundamental virtues if you are up to it. Character of steel is forged in the blast furnace of hard work, tempered with deprivation, and honed to a sharp edge with discipline. Thus this recipe is the test of your culinary character… Do Enjoy!
1 Cup Butter
2 ½ Cup Granulated Sugar Divided
4 Eggs, whites and yolks separated
3 ¼ Cup all-Purpose Flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 ¼ Cup Milk
1 Cup Nuts finely chopped (I prefer Walnuts)
Grated lemon peel of 2 ea Lemons
Fresh Lemon Juice from 2 ea Lemons
Pre Heat Oven to 350 Deg
- Grease and flour 3 ea 9 X 5 X 3 in loaf pans , set aside
- In a small mixing bowl beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter; gradually add 2 Cups of Sugar, creaming smooth and well mixed, then add the 4 egg yolks and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in the large mixing bowl, blending them in alternately with milk, blend just until mixed.
- Fold in to the mix the beaten egg whites, chopped nuts, and lemon peel
- Equally turn into the prepared loaf pans
- Bake in 350 Oven for 55 – 60 mins, or until it passes the toothpick test
- Combine the Lemon Juice and remaining ½ Cup of sugar.
- When you remove the loafs from the oven prick the tops of the hot loaves with a toothpick or a fork, all over the top but not to the point of crumbling the crust. Immediately spoon the lemon juice mixture over the loaf tops. Let cool 1 hr before removing from pans
- Here is where your character counts; you cannot slice the bread for 24 hrs. It must cool through and through before you lay a knife to it. If you try, if you fail this test, your weakness will lead to a pile of really good crumbs but not bread as intended. Discipline Kiddo! Discipline!!! And plenty of butter on mine please…