- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
How to make Sotanghon Guisado
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup butter
- 240 g. of dry sotanghon (vermicelli) noodles
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 lbs chicken breast with bones (shredded)
- 1/2 cup tengang daga(black fungus), soaked in water to soften
- 1/2 cup (7-8 pcs) shitake mushrooms, soaked in water, when soft, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp annatto (food coloring)
- Soak the Pancit Sotanghon noodles in warm water for 10-20 minutes or until soft. Pour half of the olive oil. Pour half of the soy sauce. Mix it in. Cut into 4-inch pieces.
- Place the chicken in a pot and pour about 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Skim off any foam that forms. Pour the fish sauce. Add the pepper and salt, more pepper for a little bit kick of spice if desired.Cook until tender, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the pot and let cool.
- Remove chicken skin and shred meat into thin strips.
- In a wok or skillet, heat the oil and the butter. Sauté the garlic until brown. Add the chicken meat and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Then addd 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth.
- Add black fungus or tengang daga and the shitake mushrooms. Bring to a boil over high heat to make it tender.
- Check your broth if it is too much or just right so when you add your noodles, it will just be perfect. You don't want it to be overcooked. It's always better to be short on the broth because you can always add but not take out.
- Add the noodles. Season with the rest of the soy sauce. Keep stirring but be careful not to mush the noodles. Simmer until the noodles are heated through, about 2-5 minutes, depending how fast the noodles get cooked. If you notice, noodles turn very transparent in color and soft.
- Garnish with green onion slices and its ready to be served.